Mattawoman - 06/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman - 06/30

I fished on Saturday and left my kayak on the roof figuring I might go somewhere on Sunday. I decided to try the Mattawoman in the evening to see if I had better luck at finding snakehead. After my last adventure at low tide on the Mattawoman, I launched from Slavins. I think I am easily distracted so I had to stop to see if I could entice some bass to hit the frog I would use on the snakehead. I got several strikes, so I had to stay there until I got one or two of those in the boat! I missed two or three strikes per actual hook set I think. I got two to the boat including my new personal bass best of around 16". Topwater is a lot of fun! Unfortunately, I spent more then a third of time chasing these bass. Back to the snakehead hunt... I tried to get in closer to the shore on the in the patch of spatterdock I was in and I couldnt actually see the shore in that area, so I through the frog a few more times and moved on.

The next area of spatterdock was a huge field so I decided to go to that back of it. There was open space between the edge of the spatterdock and the shore. This didn't seem like a likely place but I tossed the frog on the shore and dragged it in here and there. Not a sign of anything, so I skirted the shore and started tossing some casts along this back edge of the spatterdock. I was thinking I was in the totally wrong place and that the splash of the lure would spook them anyway. Third cast... got a strike! I missed it and don't know if it was a bass or snakehead. As I continued around the edge of the vegetation, I did scare a large fish of some sort in 1' of water. Might have been a carp, but it definately moved a lot of water as it fled from the kayak. After 30-40 mins of mucking around in the back, I gave up and decided to just cut through the middle to get back to the main river. Took awhile to get through it all, but it made for a neat picture. By the time I got back to the channel, it was time for me to start working back to the dock. It was about 8:15 at this point and it seemed things had slowed down already. I missed one more strike as I left the field I had just paddled through, and that was pretty much it. As I paddled back I would stop and cast here and there, but that was it for my night.

As I neared the dock, I saw another kayaker fishing and asked how they did. It turned out to be a fellow forum member... Wedge. He had caught a snakehead right across from the dock. He shared his approach to catching them before I pulled up for the evening. It was nice to run into someone from here on the water! Now I have another tactic to try when I launch from Slavin's next time. I think another challenge I need to overcome is my casting distance. I fished with a more experienced angler on Saturday and they cast for more distance than I do. I think I need to work on this, particularly for the snakehead.

2013-07-01T09-19-39_0.jpg

2013-07-01T09-19-39_1.jpg

2013-07-01T09-19-39_2.jpg
    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

So where were you?
    Last edited by DanMarino; 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM.

Comment

This trip, I was in the red box area. Skirting the shore to the south when I was looking for snakehead. Last trip, I fished in the green circle area, but did not venture into the vegetation.

7-1-2013 4-38-18 PM.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
        This trip, I was in the red box area. Skirting the shore to the south when I was looking for snakehead. Last trip, I fished in the green circle area, but did not venture into the vegetation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7794[/ATTACH]
        I caught one yesterday where the magnfying glass is. I tried the green area and got a couple big hits on a large tube bait, but the snakehead appeared to bite the tail and miss the hook.

Nice to know so many kayakers were out on the water there yesterday.
        Last edited by BalmerBrian; 07-01-2013, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Congrats! I hope to find one soon!

Comment

Nitefly, it was great to meet you. When we met I was on my way to get my son who was fishing downstream, when I got there he was steadily hooking up with big bass on a Live Target mouse. Since there was a T-storm close by I wanted to get him out of the water. As I paddled around the corner to where he was I cast a buzzbait along the weedline and caught another snakehead. While I was tending to the SH, I watched him hook up with 3 more LM's, the last one was at least a 4 pounder. The fish were swirling all around us, but the lightning was getting closer so we had to get back to the launch. We only fished for a few hours..I totaled 2 SH and 3 LM on a buzz bait, my son caught and released 10 LM of which several were good quality fish. The cloudy conditions during the day made for great topwater action that evening.
            John

Cuda 12
            F&S Eagle Talon 12

Comment

I fished Mattawoman for the first time a few weeks ago, hoping to get my first snakehead. I didn't get a sniff from one, but I did manage about a dozen lmb. I thought getting a snakehead would've been a bit less challenging.?
              Native Slayer 12
              Native Ultimate

Comment

John, Nice! I guess I cut out too early!! I haven't gone to the right from the park launch yet. Maybe next time I'm out at low tide ill check that out. Was your son throwing at the edge of the vegetation or farther in?

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
                  I fished Mattawoman for the first time a few weeks ago, hoping to get my first snakehead. I didn't get a sniff from one, but I did manage about a dozen lmb. I thought getting a snakehead would've been a bit less challenging.?
                  Three times out for me. I have seen one at least! Ill be out there again soon.

Comment

I was out there about two week ago with B yakin and got this one it was 28 3/4 1024x768_bestfit - Copy (68).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by The Jiggler View Post
                      I was out there about two week ago with B yakin and got this one it was 28 3/4 [ATTACH=CONFIG]7820[/ATTACH]
                      Nice! Where did you catch it and what lure?

Comment

i was using a top water frog.

Comment

Originally posted by The Jiggler View Post
                          i was using a top water frog.
                          That is what I caught mine on too.

Comment

Nice Snakehead Jiggler!
                            Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
                            Stealth Green Tarpon 140