Kayaker turtled nr BB this eve 7/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayaker turtled nr BB this eve 7/7

I had just beaten the front to SPSP, but decided not to launch due to blk clouds approaching. Peeps were running to their cars, winds picked up, started blowing sand & trash around. I spotted a small waterspout to the left of the point...nr the sm craft launch. Then the clouds broke up...no rain! I drove to 1st lot nr beach just beyond big boat launches.....as I walked across the sand to the jetty I see a Ranger w/a kayaker along the shore, and the MD DNR boat racing to shore. Turns out they salvaged the flipped kayak. The dude I spoke with onshore was the turtled dude's friend. He said they were fishing under the BB @ # 23 when his friend began taking in water from bigger wind-driven waves. I dunno if his friend was rescued or if he swam back.I didn't see his friend but he said everyone was ok. I helped him and the ranger load both kayaks into the truck and the ranger drove the gear back to his car. I'm glad all were ok and thankful for such alert and kind Maryland Park Service Rangers and MD DNR Police. I then proceeded to fish the jetty for awhile but got skunked.

Wow, scary stuff.....hopefully he was wearing his PFD.
    Jeff
    Life's Short, Fish Hard
    Malibu X-Factor
    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

SIK in saltwater = sink
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I was out there yesterday and called it a day after about 2 hours around 5:30, the waves just kept building. Easy 3-5ft sloppy rollers. What color was the kayak? I talked to a guy on my way in in a sit in and told him not to go past the east bound pilings with the rocks because it was too rough.
        Shane
        Hobie Outback

Comment

I think I got there around 6:30-7pm. The sit-in kayak that took on water and sank was a v small kayak. I think it was yellow.

Comment

This is one of the reason that I opted for a SOT Kayak. Harder to SINK the the SIK. Especially when you are out in big and exposed water. You never know when the weather can suddenly change and move in fast on you.

Comment

I'm glad things turned out good for them. It could have been worse.

I almost went there Sun. afternoon to try live line but after checking the weather and wind condition, opted to stay home.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

People need to be smarter about conditions on the water.... If you get out there and it's too rough, just turn back. Yeah it sucks you drove all the way out, unpacked, and paddled out, but it's not worth possibly losing your life over. I've had trips to the BB where I got out there and just said screw it this is nuts, then headed back..
                2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                X