8 miles covered
    20 white perch
    20 rockfish
    20" - largest rockfish
    1 croaker
    2 tired shoulders

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Here is the more detailed report:

This morning, I launched from Jonas Green park to flat calm water and began paddling downstream. I soon began trolling 4 rods. Two were 6' ultralights rigged with 1/8-oz spinnerbaits on 8-lb mono. The other two were 6'6" light rods with 20-lb Powerpro. One had a soft plastic minnow (12 Fathoms 3" Fat Sam mullet) and the other had a 4" Gulp swimming mullet. The latter two baits were chartreuse. Many other kayak anglers troll 2 or 3 rods, but I have grown comfortable trolling 4 lines -- heavier lures on the rear rod holders with more line out, and the lighter spinnerbaits on the front rod holders with shorter line length. I picked up a few small rockfish pretty quickly then began working some shorelines that are traditional perchin' areas. I paddled all the way to Greenbury Pt and then out a short ways into the bay.

I paddled for 4 hours and covered 8 miles. I caught about 20 perch and about 20 rockfish. Most of the rockfish were in the 12"-14" range, but I did manage a 16" fatty and a 20". All the perch came on the small spinnerbaits, and all the rockfish came on the larger baits. The plastic minnow caught far more rockfish than the Gulp, but the Gulp did catch the 20" fish.

001.jpg

My only other fish was a small croaker that hit one of the spinnerbaits while I was drifting in 4 ft of water retying a lure. On the way back upriver to the park, I came across a large school of 12" to 14" rockfish that were occasionally breaking. They really lit up the sonar screen. There were large arch-shaped marks on the bottom there, but I did not have any heavy jigs with me to get down to 20 ft depth.

The Severn is loaded with bait now. Small bait schools are visible pretty much all the time.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

We must have missed you this morning John. I thought I saw another yaker on the Jonas Green park side of the Severn headed toward Manresa. Mark and myself launch from Jonas Green around 6:30 til around 10:30 or so. Mark caught a lot of Perch, one striper and I think a croaker if I remember correctly. He was using a small spin caster and occasionally a fly rod (Mark if you read this make corrections as needed but I think this is about right). I caught about 16 croaker and one WP all on my eight weight fly rod with 250 grain sinking line. We also noted all the schools of baitfish, they were everywhere but did not encounter any breaking fish to throw to, but it was a good calm morning and we were glad to get out.
    Attached Files

Comment

Harry,

I feel humbled by John’s report and your prowess with the fly rod.

I caught 14 white perch and 1 schoolie striper – no croakers – they’re your specialty. My first four perch were on a blue over white Clouser minnow on floating line with a 9 foot leader. I need to try your sinking line approach to keep the flies down. There’s a photo of you in action below.

SevernA.jpg

My remaining fish were on one of the following two lures and about equally distributed:
      A. 1/8 oz. chartreuse jig trailing a four inch chartreuse Mister Twister attached to a safety pin spinner.
      B. 3/8 oz. lipless Rapala crankbait in yellow and black.

I did no trolling but cast to the riprap along the shoreline and picked up most fish close to shore. See photo below.

SevernB.jpg

My two most notable fish were an 11 inch white perch and a 12 inch white perch. The latter pulled drag. I let them go to be caught again.

John is very correct that bait fish are everywhere in the Severn right now. I just wish we had tangled with the stripers this morning the way he did.

But it was still an excellent trip (especially since it was raining this morning as I loaded my boat) and I thank you again for the invitation.

Mark
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My dad and I fished the Severn by boat this morning. John, we saw you paddling about and were wondering how you did. Good to hear that you did so well. We found the croaker just fine, but I couldn't get any stripers interested. Did get some soft plastics chewed up by snapper blues...yep, they're back and hungry. John

Comment

Mark I could not remember if you caught the croaker. Anyway great morning even with the questionable weather. On the next outing we can go further toward the bay or do white rocks as we discussed. Lots of places to try.

Comment

Thank you Harry.

I look forward to that.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice going guys!
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

John,

I'm curious as to your paddling speed. I can usually do 3 to 3.5 mph (gps) without killing myself. I wanted to compare what kind of speed other folks get when paddling.

Regards,

John
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Sounds like we need Time Trials for the Kayaks. Maybe a M&G when we can do self rescue.

Comment

"Sounds like we need Time Trials for the Kayaks. Maybe a M&G when we can do self rescue."

Only if you want to supply the ibuprofen and pain patches. My arthritis allows me to do 3-3.5 MPH but I didn't say for how long.

Jonas Green in September would be a good place for folks if they want to practice self rescue drills. Maybe we should make a thread and start planning it out.

John
                    John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                      John,

I'm curious as to your paddling speed. I can usually do 3 to 3.5 mph (gps) without killing myself. I wanted to compare what kind of speed other folks get when paddling.

Regards,

John
                      My Manta Ray 14 is a relatively fast paddle kayak (much faster than my previous Ocean Kayak Drifter). Without wind, I can paddle steadily at 3.5-3.8 mph for an extended period. If there is a wind, going into vs. with the wind the speed can vary by at least 1 mph. A few weeks ago, I was racing a line of storms to the ramp in Weems Creek. I got up to 5.1 mph for a short time, but could not sustain that speed (on that occasion, the downpour caught me just 100 yds shy of the ramp).

When I troll, I intentionally slow down. I try to stay under 3 mph, but find that it varies from 1.5 to 3.5 depending on what paddling cadence I use at any given time.

My personal paddling speed may be augmented by my height. I am 6'4" tall, and have a higher pivot point for my shoulders than shorter paddlers. I suspect I can generate a bit more leverage to increase speed. I have also found that my fastest speed is generated when my paddle stroke runs close to the side of the kayak rather than out a foot or two to the side.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great report John! Eight miles of paddling in four hours is quite a workout. My achy breaky back couldn't stay out for four hours, maybe three tops.

Being tied up, I've only been out in the kayak twice this season so far, the Janes Island trip which was fishless, and July 4th in Chase Creek. There was a lot of expected boat traffic on the 4th. I didn't have time to get bait, so I tried a chartreuse gulp on an 1/8 ounce jig head under a favorite pier and had several strikes but didn't land anything. This was on a two foot mircrolight. The biggest strike may have been a rock. My drag was too loose. I let him fight me for a couple minutes and didn't get him much closer to the kayak. When he started to tire and got closer, he spit out the lure. Must have been a 30 incher for sure, HA HA,LOL. I think the gulp lure was likely too large for the majority of the perch in there.

I am still fishing blind (no fish finder ), so it's back to live bait (clams, grass shrimp, peeler when avail) for me. I know it relegates me to w. perch and the occasional small rock, but that's okay for now. I'll be in touch, I haven't forgotten. Thanks, Steve

Comment

It is posted that you cannot swim or wade at Jonas Green. Maybe SPSP and have cookout but remember the Sept Tournament and Sandy Point Seafood Fest.

Comment

Nice, very nice! Where were the rockfish the day you and I were out? That's o.k. though because I did get my first one and plan to go back for more.

That really is an impressive number of fish. Sounds like a load of fun! As Arnold said "I'll be baacckk!"
                            Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

It's true that you can't swim or wade "from the park." The water depth near the piers to the right of the park is very shallow should someone need to stand up. When I practice self rescue, I don't want to touch the bottom as the hole idea is getting back in the yak from the water. We could launch from JG and practice off to the side with no issues.

John
                              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                              X