Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost made the striper "keeper club" today... Severn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost made the striper "keeper club" today... Severn.

Almost made the striper "keeper club" today...

But well enough... my first stripers west of Ocean City and my first in the kayak...
    Last edited by rob-kayak; 07-09-2013, 07:50 PM. Reason: never mind...

Hey, I want a stripper on my kayak...jk, "My first strippers on the kayak ! " lol. My wife was shoulder surfing and said, "What's this about?" Had to explain to her you meant "striper". LOL .... Looks like you had a good day.
    Last edited by Goody; 07-09-2013, 06:02 PM.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Congratulations on a good catching report. It is always rewarding to fish an unfamiliar area and come away with some good catches.

As Goody points out, there is a significant difference between catching a "stripper" and a "striper". My wife does not mind the latter, but would have some exception to the former.

I have fished the Severn for about a decade and did not get my first keeper Severn rockfish until about two years ago. The frequency of my keeper catches has matched the increased number of days I have fished in the past two years after retiring from full-time employment. I have definitely experienced an improvement on the learning curve by getting on the water more often, trying different techniques, and shear stubborness.

You mentioned a "three lure rig" several times. Under Maryland fisheries regulations, you are not allowed to have more than two lures with hooks on the same line. If you did indeed have three separate lures on the same line at the same time, and all had hooks, you should discontinue that practice.

Again, congratulations on the catches and the willingness to try different lures and methods to improve your catch.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
        Hey, I want a stripper on my kayak...jk, "My first strippers on the kayak ! " lol. My wife was shoulder surfing and said, "What's this about?" Had to explain to her you meant "striper". LOL .... Looks like you had a good day.
        LOL Good "catch" Goody!
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Yeah, you're right, John. I was at the tackle shop to test action on rods I was considering for my latest Lexa combo yesterday- I was flipping around the MH Shimano SE rod and got to taking with a fellow angler- he was telling me how effective his "Alabama " rigs were trolling...totally illegal under MD law and he was totally unaware. When I told him, he looked at me like I was stupid- why does it have more than two places for lures, if it is illegal? They wouldn't sell us something against the law...you are wrong...I thought we were going to get in to it right there- dumb ass-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

alabama rigs can be modified legal if only 2 hooked baits are attached, like umbrella rigs.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/pd...labama_Rig.pdf
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X