First Kayak Keeper of the year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Kayak Keeper of the year!

I headed out on the upper Severn for the last couple hours of the incoming tide yesterday morning. The bite was a little sporadic. A couple fish back to back then nothing. A couple more fish back to back and then nothing. Most were 14-16" fish but I did manage a nice 19" keeper. I also lost one at the boat that felt pretty nice. I never saw it, so I'm not sure how big it was but it put up a good fight.

The fish have moved from structure out to the main channel. The keeper was caught while following birds. There are also blues out there and they were tearing through my bass assassins.

Sorry for the gore...the only pic I have is post dispatch/bleed out.
    Attached Files
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Nice work, congrats on your first keeper of the year!
    Shane
    Hobie Outback

Comment

Congrats! Now that you got the little fish outta the way, gotta hook up on one of those big cows and take a ride!
      Nick Merrill
      Wilderness Systems Ride 115

"My goal is to someday be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Originally posted by Boondock_RES View Post
        Congrats! Now that you got the little fish outta the way, gotta hook up on one of those big cows and take a ride!
        You got that right! I was thinking of naming the yak "Chubby Chaser". Biggest fish in the yak so far was a fat 26 incher last fall. I'd love to get a 30-40! My best from a boat was 41, so it'd be great to beat that.
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Nice going Doug. I'm glad to here the bigger fish are in your part of the river.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks, John. I'm looking forward to stocking the freezer again this fall. I picked up some paddle tail BA's in my favorite color, so I'm looking forward to trying those out.

I've also decided I need to build a new 7' spinning rod to troll with. The one I'm using works but it is a little too light for much more than a 20" fish. . That said, I think a fast tip is super important when light tackle trolling. I've found that lighter rods get hit far more often. I'm assuming that is due to more action.
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Yummy! Rockfish & chips!

image.jpg
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
              X