Thursday evening- Heat on the Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday evening- Heat on the Potomac

We launched at five p.m.- 97 degrees- water temp was 91.7...got the skunk off with a 16 inch striper trolling on the way to the fishing grounds- it was slow- low tide had just happened and it was another hour before the tide changed- it was HOT!! sweated a lot yesterday- dunked my hat a dozen times and drank a lot of water- finally hooked up with my personal best Bay redfish, a 22 incher who gave a really good fight- Bill had a nice fish on that he lost at the boat- caught a nice big White perch and a few more stripers- fishing was slow-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-19-2013, 06:41 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Nice Trip. That Redfish has quite a gut!
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Good job guys and it's nice to see a photo of Bill in his red hat and out on the water

Comment

nice fish......
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

It was really fat, Kevin- nice and thick filets- and it took a lot of drag on my Revo SX- I knew at first it was a keeper red and told Bill before I ever saw the fish what it was and that it was a legal fish- I played it on light drag and babied it all the way into the stringer- no horsing a keeper- no speckled trout, though- I just knew we were going to kill the trout last evening and zero- nada

Comment

Did you guys launch out of Point Lookout?

Comment

Piney Point

Comment

Nice, great report and hats off in beating the heat! Weather is due to break by Sunday, halleluiah! Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  no speckled trout, though- I just knew we were going to kill the trout last evening and zero- nada
                  Have you been still finding specs in the shallows over there recently? I've made it out 3 times the last week and a half over here on the Eastern side and I've only been able to find one. For me, the bite went from really good to really slow in a snap.
                  Brian

Comment

Slobber Bob - I think you have a great user name. It makes me laugh every time I see it.

Comment

Bob-I have only targeted the Specks a couple of times and as luck would have it, scored both times- you need lots of moving water across the flats in a flood tide to really consistently score- the heat has driven them mostly nocturnal- that is why I thought we might get into them yesterday around the St. George's Island bridge and out in front in the 2-4 foot of water- The lights were off at the bridge so that didn't help and the dink stripers are always active around the bridge- we need a pretty substantial temp drop or a lot of cold rain to get the surface water temps down to the lower 80's again- that is when I was having fairly consistent luck- I have been incredibly lucky with the redfish this year- five legal keeper fish inside the maryland western shore bay at this stage of the game is pretty unusual and to catch a 22 inch fish as fat and healthy as yesterday's is a pretty decent catch any where...

Comment

Yeah, I don't think I'll be after them again until water temps drop or I get a night I'm free and the tides are right. June and early July were fun while it lasted! Good job on the red...
                        Brian

Comment

i HAVE BEEN IN CONSTANT MEETINGS AND WILL BE EVERY EVENING NEXT WEEK. i'LL LET YOU KNOW IF I CAN GET FREE TO FISH NEXT WEEK! ANYONE HEAR ANY FLOUNDER REPORTS?
                          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Here are some more pics:

Losing that nice red at the boat really ticked me off. I can't buy a fish this year, so losing a nice fish right as I got the net to it really hurt, especially after losing the nice red earlier this year. It was a twin of Ron's fish, but since it got away, it was obviously much larger. After 5 hours of fishing, all I caught was a 12" perch and a 6" croaker. I lost the red and a 12" croaker (also at the boat). All my fish came in (more or less) on a white Gulp grub with a red jighead.

I think that was the hottest water I ever fished. I got hit with a wave and it didn't feel any different than the air. It was good to fish with Ron again, especially since it's been at least a month since we last fished together. Plus, he can find fish in a puddle, which is handy since I've been striking out when I've fished solo. Now, if I could only get the fish to stay hooked...
                            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

One of these days I am going to have to bet back down there with you guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X