Tidal Potomac on Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidal Potomac on Saturday

Tidal Potomac creek on Saturday 07/20/13.

I have been fishing down on the Tidal Potomac a lot this season on the weekends. It is a great area to fish. Lot's of cover (laydowns, lily pads, spatterdock, hydrilla and milfoil). I had my best "numbers" day for largemouth bass earlier this season (over 75 largemouth bass landed). There have got to be a gazillion bass down there in the 13" to 15" range.

However, if you participate in "Kayak Wars" like I do, you are most interested in those largemouths that are 16" or better. I was beginning to feel that I had stuck enough 15" bass down there to have a good feel for where they position themselves based on the tide and time of year. It was time to attempt a little trophy hunting.

So I decided to see if I could alter my presentations to select for better fish. Yesterday I opted to mostly throw a 12" ribbontail worm (unweighted on a 5/0 gammy wide gap hook).

I had a few suicidal 12" largemouths jump the worm first thing in the morning but as the day progressed the largemouths were trending larger. Will continue to experiment down there the season to see if it is a one day occurrence or if the larger presentations are the way to go. I'd rather catch 5 or 6 really good bass down there in a day of fishing than catch 20 smaller ones.

Oh, the big worms work on these ugly mugs too!

Last edited by Turtle135; 07-21-2013, 12:30 PM.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Nice Dave, You got them dialed in for next weekend

Comment

That's a great looking picture with the snakehead. I have not targeted bass all year, but now you gave me the itch!
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Awesome Dave. You have earned all the success that you are getting. Way to put the time in and figure things out!

Comment

I use plum crazy culprits.. Potomac KILLER
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Nice going Dave. It was a hot one.
            Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

Working...
            X