Susquehanna Defeat and Victory Sunday 7/21/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna Defeat and Victory Sunday 7/21/2013

The only thing that got me through the week long heat was thinking about my Sunday fishing time. After reading all the posts about the topwater action close to the dam, I decided to give it a go. I arrived at Fisherman's Park at 4:50am, plenty of fellow yakers were assembling down by the ramp. They knew exactly what to do and wasted no time doing it. I was going to get on the water first and introduce myself later. Unfortunately, my OCD yak rigging delayed my launch(setting my rig up before launch has to be perfect) and the morning party was long gone and out of sight.

The ramp to the water is quite steep and wheeling the kayak into the water was a challenge. At the water's edge, my yak flipped sideways off the cart and everything went spilling in the water! In addition, my battery case slid inside my kayak and ripped off all my termination points. Okay, no FF...no problem...then I noticed a joint in my rod holder was busted and deemed useless. That's okay too, I will use Hobie's sorry excuse for rod holders. Finally, on the water and still pitch dark. All alone, I drifted down river straight into a minefield of boulders. There was no escaping, I tried removing my mirage drive but the damage was done. My pedals took a shot and a rod went through one of the fins. Defeated I PADDLED back to launch, aggressively packed up and ventured home.

Decided to repair everything in my garage and was able to re-launch on the Susquehanna River at the lapidum launch. My feelings were not hurt for long after I caught a smallmouth trolling a LuckyCraft sp100. I was originally trying to target perch, but they were not home. I decided to troll two additional rods with shallow diving crankbaits. One of which was a cheap Excalibur on sale at Dicks for $2.00. The Excalibur out produced everything...in the end I caught 9 smallmouth and returned home a happy camper. Worst morning so far with my kayak, but surely not defeated!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Darn. Sounds like you had a similar experience as me at the dam. Did you at least get on the water early enough to witness all the fish eating topwater? Its definitaly not the best spot for a Hobie. I think next time i go there i will find deeper water and anchor so that im not constantly drifting into shallows/rocks. At least you made up for it with some smallies. Ive heard several times the saying fish dont know what brand lure/rod/reel etc that you're using and dont really care as you've proven with your 2 buck lure. Nice job...btw heres the damage to my mirage drive after my last trip there once i removed the fins:

fin rods.jpg
    2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

I actually caught one small rock on a popper during all the chaos. I hurried home and watched some youtube videos on mirage repairs. My damage was the same, but not quite as bad...I had to straighten both rods. I did not repair the hole on the fin yet, it's a minor hole...I have to find some type of "goo"
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Sorry to hear about all the problems. Nice catch in all that chaos...Your perseverance prevailed. I used a bicycle patch kit to fix the hole in the fin and it worked great. I tested it out on Saturday.

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

Man oh Man! Not you too bro!

Sorry to hear about all the bad luck! It is impressive how you went back out to satisfy the urge! LOL
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
          X