Sunday Topwater Report W/ pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Topwater Report W/ pic

we left the heavy livelining sticks at home and ran out of the river at 5 am armed with 6 rods with various light tackle offerings. 1 with rattle trap, 1 with storm, 1 with 17 tony, 1 with a spook, and 2 with papa doggs. we got to our spot and 2nd cast bam 25 incher.

long story short between the 4 of us we caught well over 40 fish. at least 2/3 had sores which was a bad thing, but hey they still fight with sores. we caught 7 keepers without sores but never got out 8th to limit out. many many many many 17-18 inch fish, but we only kept them if they were over 19 to prevent any "shrinkage"

it was a blast as usual and im done with livelining, the topwater was so good we would catch 3 or 4 fish in a row. they quit biting around 10 when the sun broke through the clouds.

after that we croaker fished for 1 hour and caught about 15 little ones and 4 keepers on shrimp

about my 15th fish was a big guy, about 30 inches, but we lost him while trying to net him. i could see he had sores any way so it was no big deal, however my last fish of the day was a 30.25 inch fish with sores, i think he came back to play
    sorry i was yawning, i was a little tired

good luck
    IMG_20130721_100743.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kayak456; 07-23-2013, 12:10 PM.

Nice report as usual, although I wonder what the sores on the rockfish are all about? That's worrisome.

I guess you were following the breaking bait fish and gulls? I've had good luck with Kastmaster lures for near topwater as well, although they have treble hooks which are tough on the undersized.

BTW, I know you use a cast net off the pier. Do you think it's doable to try using a cast net off a kayak, or am I dreaming? I saw lots of baitfish around in the Severn yesterday and if had a net I could have tried different live bait. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
      Nice report as usual, although I wonder what the sores on the rockfish are all about? That's worrisome.

I guess you were following the breaking bait fish and gulls? I've had good luck with Kastmaster lures for near topwater as well, although they have treble hooks which are tough on the undersized.

BTW, I know you use a cast net off the pier. Do you think it's doable to try using a cast net off a kayak, or am I dreaming? I saw lots of baitfish around in the Severn yesterday and if had a net I could have tried different live bait. Thanks.
      heres a video of how to cast net off of a kayak.
      http://www.angling-addict.com/2013/0...yak-video.html

were were casting at structure, not breaking fish. wherever u topwater fish, make sure you are casting at structure, preferably in the form of rocks or pilings.

one of my rockfish had nasty parasites growing on his stomachIMG_20130721_120648_399.jpg

Comment

Thanks Andrew! This high water temperature probably has something to do with the sores and parasites. It is not helping the fish. Steve

Comment

A low oxygen environment will breed some nasty things. When the fish are stressed they become vulnerable to disease and parasites.

We have created what they live in.

Comment

Working...
          X