No announcement yet.

1/20 Tuckahoe Creek Pickeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welcome Dan. i pulled a 37" northern pike out of tridelphia res. years ago. nice place to wet a line.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post

There's some portions of the Potomac closer to Great Falls that we intend to fish this summer with the kayaks.

Welcome 13! If you're him, great play against the Jets faking that spike all those years ago! B-----D! But seriously, great play. Sorta like Jumbo Elliot catching a touchdown pass...

I launch from the VA side at Riverbend Park a few times during the year:
      http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/riverbend/

Lots of nooks and crannies. Plenty of smallies around. I know a couple productive spots. Action can be had at different times of year but I've done best late summer into September.

Hope to hook up with you out there sometime.

Welcome to the board!

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the site and new to kayak fishing. My main focus will be fishing for smallies on the Upper Potomac and hitting the local reservoirs near my home. However, I'd love to figure out how and where to catch some pickeral. I live near Columbia, MD, so what direction do you think I should travel to find some water that isn't iced over that has them?

Thanks,

Welcome Dan, Tuckahoe Creek in Hillsboro, Caroline County. Great launch there. I have caught several nice pickerel this time of year. Both up stream and downstream of the ramp as the tide is coming in. I haven't seen the river frozen over this year. First week in March on a Saturday you might see 20 kayaks and canoes there after yellow/white perch.

Welcome to the site

Comment

Dan,

Do you catch many walleye down around Brunswick. I have been thinking about kayak fishing that area. The water looks nice in that area. I was thinking about the park just opposite the rail yards. I know they catch some nice smallmouth in that area.

Comment

They're there.

Dogfish and All:

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome.

It's my understanding that walleye numbers are expanding on the Upper Potomac. I haven't made enough fishing trips up near Brunswick to land any, but I know Washington County and Harpers Ferry areas have them up there. I lucked into a muskie two springs ago, so that was a blast. Last season was not a great year for me on the Potomac as far as finding large fish. Plenty of 10-12 inch smallies that will soon be a lot of fun.

Triadelphia has been tough for me to figure out in the heat of the summer. I'm hoping that the kayak will help for trips on summer evenings. Caught a few baby stripers in November, so that was fun. Would love to catch a massive pike or striper. I know they're in there.

Comment

I have not caught a musky yet. Some of the fisherman comming back to the ramp have to story of catching musky. I might go to my regular spot early in the spring and troll for musky. I think that would be a good way of catching one. I have gotten a few walleye, one or two in the 20" range. I hope their number continue to rise. I could get used to walleye fishing.

I had a slow year for smallies also. That is why I think the fishing pressure must be up. I also caught alot of 8-12" fish, with an occasional 14-15" thrown in. I do all catch and release up there. Although, I might try keeping a walleye or two. I hear they are good eating. I would like to give that a try.

Good Luck.

Comment

for any of you donks that insist on targeting pickerel... the loch raven permit goes on sale april 1. i dont know how many they will have this year. one might be wise to get there very very early the night before as they go on sale at like 6am and sell out within 20 minutes or so.
                Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Originally posted by mdmakaira410 View Post
                  for any of you donks that insist on targeting pickerel... the loch raven permit goes on sale april 1. i dont know how many they will have this year. one might be wise to get there very very early the night before as they go on sale at like 6am and sell out within 20 minutes or so.

Is this an April Fools joke. If it is you best not come to any of the meet and greets.

Comment

While that would be an AMAZING prank, i am sorry to say its for real. i got there at 2am last year to get mine and there were about 25-30 people in front of me.

( ill probably be there again this year too, i need a jon boat permit, im getting my kayak permit renewed this saturday. plus 'kid, and my other buddy will probably be there as well.)
                    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

License Question

So to legally fish Tuckahoe Creek, what fishing license is necessary?

Is this tidal and would I need to complete the MD Saltwater Angler registry too?

Thanks,

Comment

Is this tidal and would I need to complete the MD Saltwater Angler registry too?

Thanks,

The area through Hillsboro/Queen Anne is tidal. Up stream it becomes non-tidal, not sure the exact point might be the 404 bridge. Anything in Talbot County is tidal. There is some trout fishing in February, check the DNR scheduel for stocking. They also have a good map showing tidal/non-tidal.

Comment

Thanks,

when you get your resident bay sport license you give them your phone number which automatically registers you with the saltwater angler registry so no you wouldnt need to.

Comment

Working...
                          X