Fishing Creek / Tar Bay 7/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Creek / Tar Bay 7/22

Was really looking for a Red or some Specks so I decided to use my furlough day to run south a bit. Stopped a little short of my intended destination of the Honga River / Hoopers Island and fished Fishing creek / Tar bay. Headed east out of the launch at the base of the 335 bridge in Tylers cove around 0630 and spent the majority of my time out around Barren Island. I wandered around fishing here and there. Fished the channel and grass / sand flats first, paddled from there out around the south end of the Island and worked my way north along some breaks walls, circled the island and then fished some of the marshy shore line on my way back to the launch before calling it a day around 1800. Caught most of my fish around the breakwalls on gulp swimming mullets on a 1/4 ounce jig head. Found my 1st slot red and another short fish, a bunch of small croaker and short (12-14 inch) rock, and around 18 nicer (10-12 inch) white perch. For anyone who hasn't fished the area before, most of tar bay is pretty shallow. The mirage drive was just in the way most of the time during low tide and I could only use the little fluttering kicks alot of the rest of the time but there was a nice little drop off along the breakwalls on the north / north west side of the island. Almost thought I might run into some flatfish by the looks of the area but no such luck.

Red number 1

Score, my first slot Red!

12 inches? To close to tell...

Chimo
    Last edited by chimo; 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM.

thanks for the report Chimo
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X