Saturday 07-20-2013 Kayak Fishing the Poplar Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday 07-20-2013 Kayak Fishing the Poplar Island

I have wanted to live line for rockfish around Poplar Island for some time. Dana, also known as Coop1486, Had a connection with Paul, the owner of Lowes Wharf. Dana had arranged for us to launch from the private marina as long as we patron the marina’s restaurant for lunch. Lowes Wharf Yacht Club
    is located at 21651 Lowes Wharf Rd Sherwood, MD 21665 right across from Poplar Island.

The weather was predicted to the hot, with temperatures in the 90’s. The winds were predicted to be 11 to 12 mph in the early morning and then going down to 8mph after 6:00am. Scattered showers, perhaps severe weather was not expected until the afternoon.
    Low Tide was at 9:54 AM and High Tide was at 2:34 PM.

The plan was for me to meet Goody and Walk the Plank at the Wawa on route 50 at 3:30am. We left at 3:45am, and stopped at a 7-11 on Kent Island off of Dominion Road for bloodworms for Walk the Plank (Lamont). We arrived at Lowes Wharf at 4:55am where we met up with Coop1486. Fast Eddie showed up 15 minutes later while we were unloading our yaks. Coop1486 was tickled pink that so many MKR’s was fishing in his backyard. The water looked a little choppy, but since the wind was supposed to die down by 6am, we decided to launch. We stayed in Marina’s cove until the wind and chop died down before venturing out to Poplar Island. Walk the plank caught to the first fish of the morning with a spot. When we got into the main stretch of the cove the wind seemed to be blowing at 17 mph. It was 6:45am and the wind was not going down. I went back to shore to fix my battery terminals to my fish finder. During that time I was thinking that we should go with plan B and pack up and fish Harris Creek, just 10 minutes away. Harris Creek would offer more protection from the wind. I was about to get on the radio and ask the guys if they wanted to opt for plan B, when I saw Fast Eddie paddling towards the ramp. He was thinking of bailing too, so I contacted the rest of the gang and they were more than happy to move to another fishing location that was protected. While getting ready to pack up, we had our first turtle. Walk the Plank flipped his kayak while hooking up with a pig perch and reaching for his pliers. No worries, he was only in 3.5 feet of water. He did lose the perch, his pliers, bloodworms and one of his rods. The good news was that he was able to recover his rod. I gave him some fish bites to replace his bloodworms.

We headed over to Harris Creek which was very calm. This was a more enjoyable fishing experience. I ended catching small spots, croakers up to 12 inches, perch, and one big ray. I caught 35 fish in all. Goody also hooked into a ray. I know Fast Eddie also caught a dozen and a half fish, mostly perch and croakers. The sky was overcast which kept the temperatures down, with a nice light breeze. Since it was cooler, we stayed out fishing an extra 90 minutes than planned.

After fishing we headed over to Lowes Wharf for lunch. Goody did not go with us since he was running late for an appointment. But before he left, Coop1486, once again pulled out a half bushel of cooked crabs to share with our group, so Goody took some crabs home. Lunch at Lowes Wharf was excellent. We all ended up having the crab cake sandwich and fries, downed by a cold one. Before we left the restaurant, Coop1486 thanked the owner of the Restaurant for letting us launch there this morning, even though, the weather conditions were not great. Naturally, while we were having lunch, we noticed that they winds did eventually die down with almost flat water. Oh well, next time. Everyone split the crabs and I made a quick stop at Coop’s house to chomp on some crabs and wine….Coop1486 is quite the host.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by moc; 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM.

Nicely summed up report of our trip. Good job Moc. When I caught the ray, at first I thought my line had snagged on to something but quickley realized it was something else when it started to pull the yak. I managed to catch a keeper croaker and perch. All in all it was a nice outing and I enjoyed meeting and seeing everyone.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Great report once again Moc.Even though we didn't make to poplar island.The weather report for these weekend looks good so we are going to give it another try.So anybody is welcome come along to go to poplar island.we will be launching from the same spot.I think launching time will be 6:30.Live lining for rockfish.
      2012 hobie outback
      2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Had a great time, enjoyed meeting everyone yes we have to do it again sometime. Thanks Coop for the crabs and cucumbers. Moc your report said it all .will see ya on the water.

Comment

Working...
        X