Saturday- Lake Conoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday- Lake Conoy

Got up early and loaded up headed to PLO- trying to avoid crowds- figured PLO would be the least crowded that still had a decent shot at my targeted species- St. J's creek on a Saturday can be a zoo with the jet skiers and pleasure boaters, Piney Point would be crowded, St. Indigoes is just as far as PLo and doesn't have the structure that PLO has, so it was PLO- I kept thinking on the drive down that I must have forgotten something- got there and sure enough, my Hobie plug in cart was still at home- had to lug, drag my Outback...not fun- threw my cast net for bait- and my live well pump was not working- ugh! Plans were quickly becoming unravelled- got to the inlet and big swells from the SW on a stiff breeze...lots of chop at 6 am...turned around about a mile offshore and decided to fish the inlet and Lake Conoy...not exactly according to my plans, but fishing is fishing- lots of tailor blues were at the inlet making life miserable, cutting baits to shreds, eating up a bag of Gulp and a bag of Bass Assassins- caught a dozen white perch, a baby flounder, three tailor blues, two spots, three small speckled trout, and this guy- nice redfish...and in the picture you can't see he is flopping like crazy to quickly bounce out into the water...but I got a picture...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-04-2013, 11:27 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

nice red Ron. I am envious of the trout even if they were short. I sent some guys to a new launch spot...they only had canoes so the motivation was being out of the wind.....and they caught 3 reds over 18. Let me know and we'll try it sometime. Sadly I am travelling next weekend and may have company the next
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Kevin- I figured it out late Saturday...but at that point I was ready to go home and take a nap- I made a 10 foot by 3/4 inch fiberglas stake out pole and used it for the first time Saturday- even in a swift tidal current it worked like a champ- I used it in four and a half foot deep water- held me in a perfect casting position to fish an area- I used six feet of 1/4 inch nylon braid looped around the pole with a stainless clip that clipped into my anchor trolley- I could bring the boat forward or backward depending on using the stern or bow- punching the pole deep in the bottom was no problem, either- I ordered the stainless pointed end cap and the T handle and used 50-50 epoxy to permanently attach them, so it looks just like the professional stake out poles- I am pretty sure I can use it in 5 or 6 feet of water-

ps-the specks were under the breaking fish-
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-05-2013, 05:38 AM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
      X