Severn Trolling 8/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Trolling 8/4

Let me start off by saying Jeremy (Sparky1423) is one awesome brother!

I got to the launch around 6am and saw a couple of forum members, most notably Zimm who is a great guy with a lot of creativity. I saw all sorts of cool creations he's made for his kayak fishing hobby. After chatting for a bit I launched about 7am.

I would normally pay attention to water temperature but my FF was acting up and giving me weird readings including 350feet for depth. Side note, I fixed the problem when I was coming back for the day by realizing that I didn't have my transducer plug in all the way!

I started trolling up the river towards the 301 bridge to meet up with Sparky1423. The two X-raps I had on didn't even get a nod from any fish. When I get to him he shows me two keeper Rock and a huge WP and then proceeds to hand me what I'd like to coin as "Sparky's Rig"... Two 1/2oz RoadRunner jigs dressed with skirts and tipped with 4" twister and/or paddle tail, tied together like a spec rig.

20130804_131539.jpg20130804_131553.jpg

I take the rig with gratitude and cast out to put about 100feet behind me. Not even 5 minutes later my drags starts to buzz. My first keeper at 19.5". I was stoked! I put it in the cooler and I cast out again and proceeded to do the same thing. I whisper a little prayer for a second one to bring home to Mom (That's right, I love my Mom!) and within another 5 minutes the drags goes crazy! This one pulls a ton of drag but I finally boat it. It comes at 23.75". The largest Rockfish I've caught to date!! Within 30 minutes of launching (and 15 of using Sparky's Rig) I have my two keepers!

20130804_122037.jpgIMAG0586.jpg

Needless to say I am ECSTATIC!!! I praised the Almighty and proceeded to thank Jeremy for his awesome rig with a brotherly hug across the kayak!

We fished on for croaker and WP and pull up a lot of shorts. I had to call it a day around 10:30am.

You know, today's success was due to a genuine brother who wanted to spread the same success that he had, to his friends. That's what makes this hobby so unique and this site so great. Now my job is to pay it forward
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Woops, just sent a small report too, LOL.....good time today brother!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice report and good fishing!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Awesome fish! You going to masgouf it?

Haven't caught a keeper rock yet, I need to target them some day.
        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I'm glad you caught those fish. Sharing information and tackle is one of the great things about this group.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You guys did great today.

Thank you for sharing locations and techniques.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Gents!

... and Minh, you better believe I Masgoufed it! LOL!

Sorry my phone battery was dying and I didn't get good pictures of the Masgouf... God Willing there will be more
              -Mustafa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Good job on the rockfish. Thanks for the pictures of the "Spark Rig". Use it to jump start your rockfish hookups....

Comment

Nice! I need to pick up some of those! I trolled an Xrap some last night. No action. Congrats on the Rocks!
                  2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                  Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

I have been searching for more Roadrunners. They are always in stock at West Marine...the sizes are 1/2 and 1 ounce. I was hoping to find a smaller size so I can have one lighter and one heavier lure so they spread better in the water. I could only find the marabou roadrunners in 1/4 ounce. The best way to search for these roadrunners on the web is "striper bucktail roadrunner"
                    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Do you guys add an inline sinker to the rig? It looks pretty cool, I might give it a try, just wondering how deep it gets

Thanks

Comment

No in line sinker. If you let out enough line it should be at a good depth. I was only going between 2.5-3mph.

Originally posted by huizhao85 View Post
                        Do you guys add an inline sinker to the rig? It looks pretty cool, I might give it a try, just wondering how deep it gets

Thanks
                        -Mustafa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

What are the jigs tied to? Three way swivel? What is the leader length on each jig , same or different?
                          Hurricane Skimmer 128
                          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong Sparky... I believe the jigs were tied on a 3 foot mono line with a surgeon's loop one third the way between one of the jigs. So one jig had about 2 feet of leader while the other about 1 foot. Just like a spec rig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtmSMtzAw4E

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                            What are the jigs tied to? Three way swivel? What is the leader length on each jig , same or different?
                            -Mustafa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                            X