8/3 - Harry Nice - 301 Bridge Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/3 - Harry Nice - 301 Bridge Area

Its been a long time since I've written a report and I sent this to some friends so I felt that a copy and paste wasn't too difficult! I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to get out this weekend because I had a few things to do with friends on Saturday. Luckily they live on the MD side of the 301 bridge in the neighborhood at the top of the cliffs. My girlfriend and I decided to get in a few hours in the morning and fish some of my usual haunts for redfish. I didn't prepare for this trip as much as I do others and we arrived later than I wanted at 6:30am only to find the tide was going out and an hour away from slack (usually terrible for the area that I fish). The water upon an ultra accurate taste test was extremely fresh and I felt that finding reds was going to be difficult. We made our way to a rip that I like. There were tons of little stripers, perch, catfish, and small blues. We decided to follow the shoreline upriver and fish the last bit of the outgoing at a nearby creek. One the way there I saw a gar and thought for sure the day was doomed to only catfish and perch. A little ways further I saw nervous water and a school of dark shapes in the water. A cast toward the school yielded a 19" striper. we followed the school and my girlfriend got another at 20". We finally made it to the mouth of the creek and bait was still getting flushed out. The bigger stripers had tucked themselves under the shoreline overhang and we picked up two more that were 26" and 24". Then I saw a large swirl that moved under my kayak and swam down river about a foot off the shoreline. I cast to it 20 times and it never even looked at my lure. I paddle over to the wake and it was a ~32" striper swimming slowly just under the surface. I was within arms reach of it and just followed it as it swam along slowly. It seemed injured and uninterested in me being there. Really weird but interesting nonetheless. After that distraction we got back to fishing and moved along the shoreline where I got a really good bite in a grass bed that I assumed was another striper. It came unbuttoned rather quickly. Moving to the otherside of a dock, there was TONS of structure beneath the water, old wood, pipes, oyster beds, rocks, and grass. We both cast and both got hooked up with our first reds of the day. My girlfriend lost hers at the boat but I got a hold of mine. 20", not too shabby! Next cast she hooked up again and had trouble unhooking it when it got to the boat. My gulp was snagged so i just freespooled as I paddled over to give her a hand. As soon as I closed the bail on the reel the drag started screaming and the fish was on his way to the CBBT. After about 20mins the first overslot red I've caught in awhile was next to the boat. Instead of just grabbing it I tried to use the fish grips and with one swift head shake the fishgrips knocked the light and semi-straightened jighead out of his mouth. I saw the fish roll over and flip me the bird as it saw off. No picture but still a great fight. We sat there and caught a few more before she hooked into one that was also over slot and ended up breaking her off. The bite started to die down with the reds but we kept fishing. My girlfriend the caught the last surprise of the day, a decent largemouth! It was caught right near a rocky part of shoreline in the same area we caught the first reds. Overall and intersting day!

IMG_20130803_091556_262.jpg
    IMG_20130803_091601_899.jpg
    IMG_20130803_102001_342.jpg
    IMG_20130803_105417_995.jpg
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

awesome report. It is fun having success with the lady along. I really enjoy when my wife comes along and out fishes me. Great pics too. Funny catching red and Largemouth in the same stretch.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Striped Bass, Spot-tail bass, and largemouth bass! Not often you see those all in the same water. Great report, thanks!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
      X