My 1st trip to Mattawomen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st trip to Mattawomen

Beautiful weather today so decided late last night to give mattawomen a try for the 1st time.
    Im mainly a bay fisherman and mainly on my boat but since my GF got a kayak ive been doing a little more river & creek fishing.
    Still trying to learn the ropes to catching Bass and the thought of even maybe a snakehead sounded good too.

Well Mattawomen didnt disapoint!! Beautiful place to fish!!

It wasnt fast and furious action but it was a fun day and I caught 4 Lg Mouth and my 1st Snakehead too!!
    And to tell you the truth!!....... I'm not sure if i want to catch another one... lol. They're some nasty buggars!!

Didnt get much of a fight out of it cause i nailed it right at the weed line in a small opening and it nailed my frog right when it hit the water and as soon as i set the hook it was down in the junk. I cranked down on the drag and tried to pull it out but it just pulled me to it and once over top of it, it came right up with a wad of salad on top. Couldnt get the lip gripper on it and it wasnt thrashing at all, even after a couple good wacks on the head with the lip gripper so i just lifted it in the yak with the line.
    Even once in the yak it was very docile and just layed there but it certainly wasnt dead.

Had no plans to keep anything so had nothing to put it in except a trash bag.
    Pulled the bag out and stabbed it a few times with my knife to kill it. Well all that did was piss it off and it lunged at me with mouth open heading straight for my crotch!!!! I just about fell out of the yak and luckily the trash bag got in his way and ended up with a mouthful of trash bag instead of me! You can see part of the white trash bag in his moth in the close up pic....lol. After doing my best freddie Kruger impersonation and the sucker still wasnt dead, I wound up cutting the SOB's head off to make sure he was dead!

My GF was right next to me during all this so she wants no part in even catching a snakehead now even by accident so wound up half heartedly fishing the rest of the day and took a skunk....lol. We wound up doing more sight seeing than fishing after that...lol.

But I also wound up getting 4 bass. 1 on the same frog that caught the snakehead, 1 on a rattle trap along the weed edges and a couple on a texas rigged baby brush hog near the old mill structure.

my GF took the pics with my cell phone and only got pics of the smaller bass i caught. The 2 others were a little chunkier but she was to far away.

heres a few pics of the day.

IMAG0265.jpgIMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0264.jpgIMAG0268.jpgIMAG0269.jpg
    Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 08-12-2013, 01:50 AM.
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

I caught my first snakehead this weekend too. Actually 3 of them (in Pohick Bay), the first two ended up swimming off because I underestimated them and lost them before I had full control of the fish. The 3rd however didn't come out of the net until I had 3 clips from my stringer in it. Sucks you didn't get to experience the fight, they are definitely a worthy opponent on the other end of a line.
    Jeff
    Life's Short, Fish Hard
    Malibu X-Factor
    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Great outing! Hang onto a girlfriend that Yaks with you. They're gold!
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Congratulations on your first snakehead. I enjoyed your report about having a toothy fish near your crotch. I get a bit nervous during the winter when I lift a large pickerel in the kayak. But a snakehead caught in warm weather is a much more worrisome denizen.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice! Once you get that thing on the grill you will be back for more!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
          X