Bb 8/12/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bb 8/12/13

Fished the Bay Bridge from 11-4pm. Tide was outgoing but not real strong. It was a slow day today but I did manage to jig up 6. I brought one home a 29 inch rockfish. There were a good amount of boats fishing most of them were live lining and just north of the bridge at the pipe. I launched from Terrapin Beach. The walk isn't that bad, but its definitely a longer paddle than the marina.

I see two nice healthy filets in the near future! Good fish
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice looking fish, good work!
      Shane
      Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice looking striper. Congratulations.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice one!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Missedshed, how long is the walk to the beach at Terrapin Park? I was just there on Sunday and walked around for a bit but did not go all the way down the path to the beach. It looks like a pretty long haul to me.
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Nice bro!
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Now thats a nice summer yak rock.
                Congrats
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I don't think the walk is that bad, 15 mins about. You will need a cart though. Once you turn at the gazebo, you can put in there or walk another 5 mins or so and put in near the little walking bridge. It takes me about 1 hour from pulling into the parking lot and fishing at the bridge. It added a good 20 mins into this spot compared to the marina.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                    I have a cart but wish I had one with the big wheels. I will try out the park when the weather gets a bit cooler.
                    John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I have a homemade cart... Wheels aren't the beach wheel type, you should be fine pulling the kayak as most of the trail is packed dirt/oysters. Only about 50 yards is paved. Prob. about 20-30 yards is actually sand n thats at the water edge. I thought the walk would be a pain but its not. Only a pain when your heading back to the lot... Mostly bc you'd tired from a long day on the water. I put all/most of my gear at the very rear of the kayak when I pull it, helps with the front weight. Try not to venture out past the bridges land area that jets out a bit as long as you can while going out. it will help shelter you paddling a bit by staying out of the wind/current or chop until you have to.

Comment

I appreciate the tips. Have you tried fishing at the sewerpipe in the evening? I have done it from my boat and picked up some nice croakers.
                        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

No I only work the bridge jigging, only have had one trip where I haven't caught any rock fish. I don't use a fish finder so finding that pipe and being over it is a bit difficult. My first few times I ever fished the bridge I used a fish finder but I found myself watching if more than actually fishing. I just work one spot n move to the other side than the next column. I will jig one area for about 10-15 mins and move on until I find a school. Than I will work that spot a bit longer. I like fishing the east bound span as it seems to produce much more fish for me. The rocks seem to be more consistent if the tide is really moving but not always. My best days have been when its real rough out there. Your just going to have to figure out what's the best way for you to jig and drift. Sometimes you will only get one cast to jig and will need to reset and paddle back. I found having a rod holder right in front of me in the center of the yak helps as you can grab the rod and jig faster to get the cast without getting the lure all wrapped around the rod in my side rod holders....they sit back just behind me.

Comment

How do you jig and keep off the pilings at the same time. I could never do that well in my boat so I don't know I would do it in my yak.

Some guys have fished the cement ships in VA and wound up with serious abrasions on their yaks. What's your secret?
                            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Very nice! I had this great idea of going there last thursday, so my wife could hang on the beach and I could fish the bay and the bridge for the first time ever. WELL, after getting to "terrapin park", we walked around for about an hour, found 3 other people that couldn't find the beach. The wife went back to the car (not too happy), I finally found the beach, but by that time the whole plan blew up. I was very disappointed with the park and the lack of signs or any direction. Plus, I dont have a cart. I'll give it another shot later on now that I know the route between the parking lot and the beach. Again, Nice Fish!
                              Originally posted by missedshed View Post
                              Fished the Bay Bridge from 11-4pm. Tide was outgoing but not real strong. It was a slow day today but I did manage to jig up 6. I brought one home a 29 inch rockfish. There were a good amount of boats fishing most of them were live lining and just north of the bridge at the pipe. I launched from Terrapin Beach. The walk isn't that bad, but its definitely a longer paddle than the marina.

ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Working...
                              X