Severn slam - Aug 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn slam - Aug 14

After not fishing on the Severn for over a week, I was ready to get back out there. The river challenged me with wind and waves, but generously gave up five species.

I launched in Weems Creek at 1:30. The water level was low and the wind was gusting. I quickly caught a few white perch then began trolling 4 light spinning rods. Once I reached the mouth of Weems I got the full force of the wind that was blowing directly down the river. There were whitecaps everywhere with waves of 1 to 1.5 ft. Nevertheless, I trolled across the river to work a shoreline that had held perch two weeks ago. Today, with the low water level, the perch were not there. I fished another sheltered tributary upstream from Weems and the fun began.

I caught a bunch of white perch, then had a stronger pull. It turned out to be a 12.5” yellow perch with bright coloration.

011.jpg 012.jpg

Shortly after that, I caught my first of three pickerel. I catch loads of Severn pickerel during the fall and winter, but had not caught one since April.

013.jpg

I moved out to a spot on the main river that was blocked from the wind. I cast out and caught my 4th species, a small bluefish.
    014.jpg

As I trolled back downstream towards Weems, I caught a rockfish.

015.jpg
    All fish were caught in water less than 5 ft depth and on small lures. I used two small spinnerbaits (a 1/8-oz spinner made by MKF member Bignose and a 1/16-oz Strike King Microking). On the other two rods, I used jigheads with a 3” Gulp swimming mullet on one and a 3” 12 Fathoms Fat Sam mullet in the other.

Shortly after catching the rockfish, I was untangling one of the lines and managed to turn beam-on to a 3-ft wake, which rolled over the side of the kayak. Fortunately it has fast-draining scupper holes, but I did have a wet butt for the rest of the trip. A moment later I heard a snapping sound. Apparently one of the lines either hooked up with a large fish or had gotten snagged. The snap was the arbor knot breaking lose as I was completely spooled.

I fished three hours, covered about 4 miles, and caught 5 species. As I pulled the kayak on the beach at the ramp, I saw a DNR police officer in his truck. He got out and walked over to talk with me. He asked me what I caught and what I had with me (no fish – all catch and release) and asked to see my license. Make sure you carry a copy of your license with you at all times on the water.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice work, John! It's killing me not being out there more often. Then again, work has been great so I can't complain too much.

I caught one of your adopted children on my last trip out. He was foul hooked but I got him off without having to remove him from the water. It was the first pickerel I've caught in quite awhile.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Good report of a good day for you.

Thank you.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great seeing the yellow perch in the mix. I know they have been struggling for years in the Severn.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Awesome report John! Wish I could have been there. I haven't been out in three weeks.

I'm not even sure if the resident groundhog hasn't taken up housekeeping in my shed near the yak again as I haven't been out there. (I had gotten rid of him with moth flakes down his tunnel.). Much too long to stay away from fishing!

Anyway, I hope to be out there this weekend, with a slight possibility for Friday afternoon.

The yellow perch is beautiful. Much more colorful than the one you caught back in July. I have to catch some pickerel as I have never caught one before.

Awesome photos!
          Laura (aka zeebyrd)
          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Beauty of a YP, thanks for the report! My last time out there only yielded spot, croaker and white perch.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Pretty color and nice size on that Yellow Perch!
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Beautiful YP John! Let's hope they are starting to come back in the western shore rivers.

It's interesting that you still had a decent catch in low water at the brightest time of the day in mid-August Maybe I shouldn't be too tide centric/ or early morning early evening centric when I get out. Just get out and fish.

Comment

Great report and sounds like all sorts of fun. I wish my local reservoir had that kind of action for quick trips.

Comment

You must have em locked in down there fished the other side of the severn out of jonas green from 4 till about sunset and only managed small white perch and one croaker. Nice to see some fat yellow perch hanging around
                    D Hawk
                    Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                    Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Working...
                    X