First Snakehead - almost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Snakehead - almost

Being new to the snakehead hunt, I was fishing for LMB when I "accidentally" hooked into my first snakehead. I was armed with my Lews Tourney MG Speed Spool on a BPS 6' 9" CarbonLite MH / X Fast rod and was using a scrounger jig head with a 4" Berkley PowerBait Ripple Shad in Firetiger. I had been catching LMB that rainy day with that lure combo, so I wasn't expecting the snakehead to hit. We moved our yaks from one of the back streams along the shoreline and were making our way back to the Smallwood boat ramp. I caught it up against the docks near the Smallwood boat ramp and am still kind of surprised I it was there. I have caught one other snakehead since (up by Mattingly) which was 7lbs and the first one I caught was more than 2x that size - or so I think (my buddy, Larry, cooked the 7lb snakehead I caught and it tasted great). I wasn't properly prepared to land this particular kind of fish and after removing the hook it flipped out of the yak and back into the water - taking my net with it. Larry witnessed the catch of that big fish and my failure to secure it, so we both got a lesson that day. Looking back, I wish I had t he foresight to snap a picture or that my GoPro still had some battery life left in it, because that was a really big snakehead. I'm hoping that big one is still out there...waiting.
    Last edited by NukeMD; 08-14-2013, 11:54 PM.
    Dave N.
    Wilderness Systems Radar 115
    - Solar
Working...
X