Seeing Red on the Pax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing Red on the Pax

Got out this morning with topwater in mind, but I missed the window and had no takers. On my way back to the launch I started bouncing Gulps on the bottom, managed to pull up a few jumbo croaker. They were fun fights, they definitely took after their redfish cousins. I strung a few up when my lure got smashed by, what I thought, was another massive croaker. To my surprise, it was a 19.5" puppy drum, my first keeper in the Patuxent!

It's been a good few weeks on the water, hoping to keep it going!

1186879_1882077251518_539579708_n.jpg
    Last edited by TalonAngler; 08-15-2013, 11:15 PM.
    Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Glad you are getting on them. Nice fish

Comment

Originally posted by TalonAngler View Post
      Got out this morning with topwater in mind, but I missed the window and had no takers. On my way back to the launch I started bouncing Gulps on the bottom, managed to pull up a few jumbo croaker. They were fun fights, they definitely took after their redfish cousins. I strung a few up when my lure got smashed by, what I thought, was another massive big croaker. To my surprise, it was a 19.5" puppy drum, my first keeper in the Patuxent!

It's been a good few weeks on the water, hoping to keep it going!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8506[/ATTACH]
      Nice man, keep that hot hand going until the CBKA Event!!

Comment

Congrats! I caught my first Red last week in VA and they are great fighters! How deep was the water you caught him in?
        2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
        Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Thanks! I'd love to keep this going for a few more weeks!

Nitefly- This one was in about 5 feet of water, but the last keeper that I snagged was in less than 3 feet.
          Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonAngler View Post
            Thanks! I'd love to keep this going for a few more weeks!

Nitefly- This one was in about 5 feet of water, but the last keeper that I snagged was in less than 3 feet.
            I caught a 24" redfish in 2-3 ft of water right next to a grassy point in Eastern Bay yesterday.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice- redfish are one of my favorites- with specks...my last fish was my turtle and it was close to the upper limit of a keeper fish- wouldn't that be something- a Chesapeake Bay redfish too big to keep? How long has it been since reds that size was in the middle Bay? Anyway I was in 4 feet of water bouncing back and forth between 3.2 and 4 with the waves from a stiff SW winds- pulling a Sea Assassin swimbait- bouncing on the bottom- and I also had just caught a nice big croaker- they seem to be swimming together a lot...if I can get my Hobie Trax II cart back from the welders today, I will be able to fish this weekend- the tack welds popped loose again- piss poor quality for a $200 cart- this time I have Iron Workers Local 5 Apprentice instructor doing a TIG weld with full penetration complete pass- no tacks- if you want it done right get a union welder!
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X