Crabbing the Gunpowder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crabbing the Gunpowder

I got out last weekend and ran my standard Hobie trotline. It was the first time I'd gotten out for crabs this year as a result of a busy schedule, but I typically prefer to wait until mid July anyway. Crabs in August and September can be really nice. I'd heard mixed reports of catches but there's only one way to find out, so off I went.

I laid the line and the first run produced 3 or 4 big heavy crabs. I thought it'd be a banner day for sure. After about 3 hours, I had a dozen...and the last hour I didn't even see a crab so I packed it in and enjoyed the feast. All the crabs were between 6.5-7.5" which was awesome. They were top quality but the numbers weren't there. Almost all of the crabs were caught when the water was calm. As the wind and current picked up, it got tough. It was a beautiful day on the water and I had plenty to eat so it was a great day.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Nice report, especially all the way up in the Gunpowder. If crabs are predictable at all, it's that they are more likely to be feeding at slack tide. Not sure why, but even the eastern shore watermen haven't figured out crabs. Maybe they're just plain dumb and haven't figured out that the current brings the food right to them. The rockfish have that system down.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
      Nice report, especially all the way up in the Gunpowder. If crabs are predictable at all, it's that they are more likely to be feeding at slack tide. Not sure why, but even the eastern shore watermen haven't figured out crabs. Maybe they're just plain dumb and haven't figured out that the current brings the food right to them. The rockfish have that system down.
      Hahaha. Unfortunately I go when I have time. Stupid crabs should just eat when I'm there! I think in the current they have a tough time moving about and that's when the rockfish eat them.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Nice going. It has been slow this year for me as well. Last time out, I went over to Kent Narrows. After 4 runs of the line, I had THREE crabs. So I packed it up and came over to the severn and picked up a couple dozen in about 90 minutes. As with you, quality was good...but quantity was low.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Nice, atleast your dozen was prime number 1 jumbos! I went crabbing on the Severn Friday am for 2 hours and didn't get a single keeper...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
          X