Snakehead payback at Mattawoman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead payback at Mattawoman

The snakehead has been a thorn in my side for about a year now. Almost all of my fishing buddies have caught at least one but for some reason or another Mr Snakehead and I have never formally met. Two weeks ago I was out at Pohick Bay tossing a rage toad into the pads early in the morning when a freight train blew up my frog. I leaned back and set the hook. He was on!!!
    I saw the tail come up out of the water and thought I was home free. I got him to the yak and got out the fish grips and went for his mouth. As soon as the fish grip touched his mouth it was on. He did the snakehead roll and I believe my braid went into his mouth and severed my line leaving me no snakehead and utter dissapointment. Needless to say I wasn't right the rest of the day. Some would consider this a catch and a victory but something didn't feel right about it. Well yesterday The Jiggler, Katfish Jones and myself decided to hit up Mattawoman after work. We launched at the bridge because of high tide and floated on down towards the wall. Fishing was pretty slow. The Jiggler caught one LMB and a snakehead which he always does it seems and I caught one largemouth and finally a 23 in, 4 11/2 lb snakehead which I landed and will be fried nuggets tonight! I'm still a bass guy at heart but those things do put up a fight. I look foward to taking many more out of our waters.
    2013-08-16 21.59.36.jpg
    Malibu Stealth 12 SOT

2014 HOBIE PA 14

Congrats, but it seems that you meet Mrs. Snakehead instead

Comment

I know that feeling...
      Glad you got one in this time. How was it?
      Dave N.
      Wilderness Systems Radar 115
      - Solar

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
        Congrats, but it seems that you meet Mrs. Snakehead instead
        Maybe a pregnant female with that belly.

Nice catch though, they are a tasty fish, I like a little cajun seasoning on my fried nuggets.
        Jake
        FeelFree Moken 12.5

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Yea, I like blacken style as well. I really need to get some more before they move to deeper water.

Originally posted by d16daily View Post
            Maybe a pregnant female with that belly.

Nice catch though, they are a tasty fish, I like a little cajun seasoning on my fried nuggets.

Comment

20130816_165517.jpg
              It was a nice one. Welcome to the club buddy. Glad I got to witness that one
              Robby
              2014 Hobie Revo 13
              12' Camo F&S SOT "Dirty Floater"

Comment

Working...
              X