Saturday afternoon on Cornfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday afternoon on Cornfield

The three Musketeers hit the north end of Cornfield Harbor late yesterday afternoon- a beach launch- Yes, you can launch a Hobie MirageDrive from the surf...but it is a different experience- the winds were up and there was a fair amount of chop on top of some nice swells, but no where near some of the stuff I have launched in...we bitched and moaned about bluefish, but they were dependable fish and they were everywhere...could not get under them- Kevin and Bill tried and tried...still fun to get a rod bent-saw a nice Spanish Mackerel that a couple caught out of an open 16 foot skiff- a 3 plus pound fish- mixed in the blues were rockfish. I caught a nice spot on a 1/4 oz jighead with Gulp- that was a first for me...mixed in the blues were some keepers- 1 1/2-2 pound fish- had a couple of near keeper rockfish and one definite keeper that didn't stay stuck on my XR10 XRap- I switched off the soft plastics and went to hard baits after it was evident the blues were chopping off all the tails- had a couple of nice white perch,but no reds and no specks...we beached the yaks at dark as the waves were building and the chop was getting worse- all in all, a very enjoyable day with friends- Got home after 9 pm tired but relaxed-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Still sounds like a great day. Sorry I couldn't make out with you guys. I think that the front side of the bay north of the pet beach is going to start producing soon.

Comment

I was out there all day long with little luck until the Rockfish Bluefish blitz started late afternoon. Two boats and me in my Outback worked along side the birds for about 2 hours. I caught dozens of fish all smaller fish but lots of fun. I was going to stay out until dark set in but my light decided not to work so I made it back to the ramp just before dark.

I unfortunately forgot my collection of metal lures so I went through many many curly tails and gulps.
      Jim

Hobie Outback
      TKAA member
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

It was great to fish with Ron and Bill again. Loved fishing the breakers and fishing a slightly different area. I could not keep the bluefish off the line. Caught a nice 16 incher right in the back and wow did he put up a tussle. Smoked the day's catch for my son who is down visiting. I'd like to try that area on a more calm day. Here are Ron and Bill at work!
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Sounds like it was loads of fun! I was hoping to get into Blues at CHSP this past weekend, but it wasn't meant to be.... hands down one of the best tasting fish Masgouf Style!!

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          Got home after 9 pm tired but relaxed
          Best feeling ever!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

mustafa.....almost cut my fish your way for smoking but wanted to get rid of the backbone.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
              mustafa.....almost cut my fish your way for smoking but wanted to get rid of the backbone.
              I'm interested in learning how you smoked your fish. I always like learning new techniques!

I do notice that the bones, although take longer to cook, add a lot of flavor to the meat!
              -Mustafa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                I'm interested in learning how you smoked your fish. I always like learning new techniques!

I do notice that the bones, although take longer to cook, add a lot of flavor to the meat!
                for roasting like you do I think the bones are important to retain moisture and flavor. With smoking, however, they get in the way of the brine and smoke getting into the meat ...hindering the preservative quality of the smoking process. Next time I get a couple nice Blues i'll take a pic of my homemade smoker (made from a galvanized trash can and an electric hot plate)

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                  Next time I get a couple nice Blues i'll take a pic of my homemade smoker (made from a galvanized trash can and an electric hot plate)
                  That sounds pretty neat! I'm all about creative functionality... My typical setup consists of 5 cinder blocks
                  -Mustafa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                  X