Question about this striper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about this striper

On Sunday, one of the fish I caught is in the photo below. Does the white patch on its side at the 9" mark look like it brushed up against something, or is it something worse? Not shown in the photo, unfortunately, was a perfect reddish spot on its tail.

I caught this prior to my finger injury.

image.jpg
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

The fish looks healthy by the girth of the fish, but you never know it possibly could be the start of a bacteria event. The red spot on the tail area is usually a tale-tale sign of an unhealthy fish. Nice catch on a jig. Is that a trailer hook coming off the plastic bait If so how is it connected to the jig hook?

Comment

that looks like a healed wound. Usually when they have bacteria, you can see blood in the wound.
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioreno View Post
        The fish looks healthy by the girth of the fish, but you never know it possibly could be the start of a bacteria event. The red spot on the tail area is usually a tale-tale sign of an unhealthy fish. Nice catch on a jig. Is that a trailer hook coming off the plastic bait If so how is it connected to the jig hook?
        The trailer hook was something I had been planning to do. I meant to make some up in advance, but this one was made spur of the moment while out on the water. For some unknown reason I had a spool of 50 lb fluorocarbon, so I used that. I actually tied the hook tied to the jig head instead of the swivel - again spur of the moment. I imbedded the hook in the plastic bait.

I got tired of the blues biting the tails off all my plastic baits. So, if they were going to do it again, they were going to find a hook down there.

I also caught a 10" croaker on the trailing hook while trolling.

I will be trading in my 50 lb fluorocarbon for something lighter that I already have. I also think tying to the swivel would have been stronger - someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Pics below.

image.jpgimage.jpg
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Could that spot be from your line rubbing against the fish. I know that it happens on larger fish, which have the strength to turn against the angler during the fight. That is a possibility.

Please don't take this are criticism, maybe just as a helpful hint. You may want to eliminate the large snap swivel to your bucktail. Tying direct, with a loop knot, or the use of a smaller duolock snap would help with leader shy and/or terminal tackle shy fish. I am a bit old school about leader shy fish. It is just as of late that I have started to use duolocks, which are small and light wire. I have also used the small Norman locks. Please take this with a grain of salt. Just another opinion among the many.
          Last edited by DOGFISH; 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
            that looks like a healed wound. Usually when they have bacteria, you can see blood in the wound.
            +1

It looks pretty healthy to me.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
              Could that spot be from your line rubbing against the fish. I know that it happens on larger fish, which have the strength to turn against the angler during the fight. That is a possibility.

Please don't take this are criticism, maybe just as a helpful hint. You may want to eliminate the large snap swivel to your bucktail. Tying direct, with a loop knot, or the use of a smaller duolock snap would help with leader shy and/or terminal tackle shy fish. I am a bit old school about leader shy fish. It is just as of late that I have started to use duolocks, which are small and light wire. I have also used the small Norman locks. Please take this with a grain of salt. Just another opinion among the many.
              I'm not sure about the fish rubbing against the line. I suppose that is possible.

I will certainly try eliminating the snap swivel. If my fish count goes up - all the more better! Thanks for the advice.
              Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

I started using Speed Clips this year after seeing a reference somewhere on here. They are much lower profile than swivels and easier to use once you get the hang of them. Still not quite like running straight line to the lure, but I think it is worth it when you plan on changing lures a few times.
                Mike

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. I would not have questioned it if it weren't for the red spot near the tail. I, too, thought it was a rather healthy sized fish.
                  Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Working...
                  X