St. Mary's County 8.25.2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Mary's County 8.25.2013

My Dad and I fished in St. Mary's County on Saturday. The weather was absolutely amazing. We launched around 2pm and fished the incoming tide until almost dark.

We started fishing for croaker at first and picked up two nice ones right away but the bite wasn't as good as recent trips to the same spot. We then decided to work the shallow shorelines. The bite was slow at first and then I picked up two short stripers and then hooked into what I thought was a third and it turned out to be a small speck which was a nice surprise.

After that I decided to troll down to where my Dad was and I immediately hooked into a cownose ray. It was pulling so hard that it ripped my rod holder out from its base which probably saved my rod from breaking. I was going to try and battle him but he had other plans and took off and snapped the line. After that my Dad and I explored an area were we had never been before but nobody was home so we returned to the last productive spot. I connected with a decent sized red and about fifteen minutes later I picked up a smaller one. Then a couple more short stripers biggest was 16.5in. My Dad was getting tired so we decided to call it quits. All fish except the croakers were caught with a GOT-CHA White Firetail soft plastic body on a 3/8oz Jighead.

When we got back to the boat ramp we ran into a couple who were crabbing at the dock and they had 11 nice size crabs.

It was a great day of fishing with my Dad that will go into the memory bank.

<MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Where were you fishing on st. Mary's county?

Comment

Congratulations on a great day with your father. Those are good-looking reds and trout.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nicely done!

Meadeo
        2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Great photos. That sounds like all sorts of fun. The weather last weekend was fantastic.

Comment

Good fishing out there! Love to see the extra spots on the red!
              Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Comment

Working...
              X