Going for Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going for Perch

Launched out of Rose Haven this morning to try out some new items for Perch. As I pedaled out on my Yellow Hobie PA12 I trolled two lines out from shore and when I reached my first mark I had a 9" perch and 10" stripper so I was excited to see what was in-store for the day. I started out bottom fishing rigged with some fish bites. after about 2 hours I managed to catch a mixture of Perch, Croaker and Spot all in the 6" to 10" range. I then decided to troll a little and I got into some Perch 10"-11" size. All in all a fun day on the water and the first time fishing in that area. Saw another yak-Red, but he was on the way in and I didn't get a chance to say hi. Around 20 caught and released.
    Fish2 8.30.13.jpgFish1 8.30.13.jpgFish4 8.30.13.jpgFish3 8.30.13.jpg
    Dave B.
    Yellow PA 12
    CCA Life Time Member, Delaware Paddle Sports Member
    CBKA Participant, MAKBF Member, Fish for a Cure Participant

Perch are especially nice catches when you can lip them with your thumb and forefinger or fish grippers.

Good work.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Just out of curiousity what did you troll with to catch the stripers and perch?

Comment

Thaimonkee,

White Perch are aggressive beyond their size. I've had 6 inch perch hit 1/2 oz. Rat L Traps or 4 inch plastics that I was trolling. They could not possibly swallow baits that large but they still attacked.

I troll the same lures I cast.

Yakidiyak, pardon my interruption on your thread. I just wanted to make the point to Thaimonkee that White Perch eyes are often bigger than their stomachs. There's not much you can drag behind your kayak that will scare them away.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Ive trolled using Ratt-L-Traps with no luck. Maybe i was using the wrong color but I have had zero luck. Good job on your end. Thanks for the reply

Comment

Where is a free launch in rosé haven/holland point area? Or low cost
            Cuda 14
            Big tuna

Comment

So that was you ...I was out there too pitching metal to breaking blues out by the can. Caught one, and a couple keeper sized croackers while targeting spot to live line.

The free launch is here: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...highlight=rose
              Chesapeake Beach Bum.

Cluttering up the twin beaches

Comment

Originally posted by Longtrav View Post
                Where is a free launch in rosé haven/holland point area? Or low cost
                Looks like you got it from ChpkeBeachBum but it's free, only around 4 parking spots. Pending the direction your going it's right after you go past Herrington Harbor on your left or right before going the other direction obviously. There is a picnic table and bench there otherwise you might miss it. Good luck!
                Dave B.
                Yellow PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by Thaimonkee View Post
                  Just out of curiousity what did you troll with to catch the stripers and perch?
                  Wasn't really looking for strippers but just happened to hook one. Lure 2.jpgLure 1.jpg Caught the stripper on Lure 2. All perch on Lure 1 and Perch, croaker and spot on my bottom rig with fish bites. Nothing special, just a fun day and 1st time by myself on the bay.
                  Dave B.
                  Yellow PA 12

Comment

Working...
                  X