Thomas Point 8/30, slow pullage and floating fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Point 8/30, slow pullage and floating fish

Launched from Fishing Creek with intentions of paddling out to the light for the first time. That plan quickly changed when I hit the mouth of the creek. The wind was picking up from the SE, and I had to paddle HARD on the left side of the canoe just to go somewhat straight. With full power, I was still being pushed to the left, and I had about a mile to go. No way I could keep that up. I instead anchored about 30 yards off the point, incoming tide in full force, strengthened by the following wind. I threw a Storm Swim Shad, and first cast, it came back bit in half. I knew it was a blue, so I put on a Kastmaster and tossed back out. Brought in a mess of blues, none too big. Picked up a smallie striper as well, and my surprise was a 23" striper. Got him in the cooler, and realized about an hour ago when I went to clean him up that he was not in good shape. VERY skinny, and had some red tint/splotches on one side. Big 'ol head, but skinny body. He actually had some indents in his body where meat should be. Best description would be that his body was consuming itself. Just not a healthy fish.

By the way, I saw 5 dead stripers in differing stages of decomposition floating in the mouth of Fishing Creek. Also, while fishing the point, I snagged someone's old line and brought it up. At the end, submerged was a dead striper. Thinking someone must have snagged their line, bait still on, and the fish took the bait, hooked himself, and died on the line.

Tried for perch, and man, talk about a change. Caught ONE. Seems like they've flown the coop or something. Then again, this is only my second time fishing this area, as I normally fish the Severn around USNA. Normal outings see me hooking up with 30 or 40 perch no problem.

Hope you still make a good meal with the fish. Sick Stripers cause no harm when eaten if cooked properly and still taste the same.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I tossed back several 27 inch sick stripers last year and was told about it- tried one and it was fine- haven't thrown any back since-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
      X