Bay Bridge 8-31-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 8-31-13

Hit the water early this morning on a good incoming tide. Launched around 7am with Goody. We headed out and began working the bridge pylons, live lining spot. On my first drop, fish on. Caught a nice 21 incher in about 16-20 FOW (cant remember exactly...but it wasnt very deep). Caught my second keeper a few minutes later, closer to 20". This is my first time catching two stripers for my limit...from the kayak. Before 7:45, I had my limit. I caught them both within less than 20 minutes! It was a great feeling.

Water was a bit choppy, and I took quite a few waver over the bow & gunwales. But it wasn't too too bad at all. I've been out in far worse.

With my remaining spot, I continued to fish. I caught about 8 more stripers, ranging from 18" to 23". I had one HUGE fish on. It ran behind me, and ended up snapping my 40lb braid. I wish I could've got that bad boy to the surface.

Aside from the fishing, I experimented with a live well setup on my yak. My old battery box has been serving as a perfect storage hatch for gear. FOr live lining, the amount of necessary gear is minimum. Just hooks, sinkers, leader. With that being said, I filled the battery box/storage compartment with bay water, and loaded it with my spot. I ran an aerator to the well for a steady oxygen supply. It worked fantastic!! IT was convenient having the spot right in the well in front of me, rather than having the flow troll bucket dragging behind me. For comparison, I put a few spot in the flow troll to compare their liveliness. Both aerated water & refreshed bay water worked out well for this trip. FOr longer trips, I'd swap out the livewell water for increased longevity.

I was off the water by 9am. I caught about 10 rockfish on 12 spot.

A surprise to me was that I caught my last two stripers on nearly dead fish. They were caught on the retrieve, opposed to on the bottom. I guess the dead spot look alive when they are being reeled to the surface. I watched one striper hit the bait when it was 2' below the surface. I caught my last on the same exact way.

Great morning of catching!
    video coming

photo (17).jpgphoto (18).jpg
    <insert witty comment here>

Langston, thanks for the report! I gotta try the bay bridge again soon for those stripers!
    Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Let me know when Steve...

Comment

I am thinking about Monday possibly, I'll keep you updated.
        Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

There was a bunch of us there Friday- pretty much the same as was reported-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great report! How much weight did you need to keep the live spot near the bottom in that current? What type of bottom rig did you use, and how far was the bait from your line?

Comment

I used a 1.5oz inline sinker. It was a carolina rig. Once I felt the sinker hit the bottom, I cranked twice to get the sinker off the bottom. My leader was about 18" from the swivel to the bait

Comment

Comment

What no music? Fail!

Nice floral trunks!

Glad you had a good day

Comment

Excellent job, I got skunked out there today, I couldn't keep my kayak any where near the pilings, too much wind.
                    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

I ended up catching about 7 stripers all together ranging from 17" to 25". Limited out by about 9am but continued fishing for fun. I decided to cook it Masgouf style with a little improvisation of the charcoal grill. Here are some pictures.

bb1.jpg bb2.jpg bb3.jpgbb25.jpg must2.jpg must3.jpg

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Nice Job fellas! We had similar results on Friday, but with less winds. I caught most of mine at pillion #18. I trolled for a while at the rock pilllion and caught stripers on every pass, but they were smaller than my LL catches. I was using 1oz roadrunners with trailers.
                        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                          I used a 1.5oz inline sinker. It was a carolina rig. Once I felt the sinker hit the bottom, I cranked twice to get the sinker off the bottom. My leader was about 18" from the swivel to the bait
                          Great Langston, thanks for the tackle intel.

Comment

MetroMan you post some great articles. Thanks for taking the time to share your information. I will be fishing the BB for the first time Labor Day with kayak fishing friends from work. Hope to replicate your success! Is there a reason you launch at the ramps instead of using the kayak put in on the beach ?

Comment

Thanks woody,

I put in at the ramps because it is closer to the bridge. Also, it is a shorter haul to the water from my car...AND I dont have to worry about sand all over/in my shoes & kayak cart when I'm done. (the last reason seems kinda whiny, but it makes a huge difference not having to deal with sand!)

THe boat ramps can be kinda busy at SPSP, but luckily they have a ton of them. I tend to use the ramp on either far end. I always recommend having everything loaded and ready to go just to minimize time at the ramp.

Good luck out there!

Comment

Working...
                              X