Two Trips to the Bay Bridge: Novice Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Trips to the Bay Bridge: Novice Edition

Hi all. I'm a beginner to kayak fishing and last Friday and Monday I took my kayak to SPSP.

On Friday, I did not check the weather and headed out anyways. It was very windy and the waves were strong! I headed over to the pilings and used some variety of jigs and crankbaits. I had one hit but did not strike in time. Half of my fluke lure was bitten off and that was the last time I felt anything on my rod.
    Before I got this kayak, I only did pier fishing with baits.
    This was the second time I went kayak fishing and also the first time I went lure fishing.
    I was never a believer of lures but after that hit, I got very excited to try some more.
    However, I got seasick from the waves and could not continue.

On Labor Day, I went out to the same spot again. This time I decided to use a fluke jig and bucktail jig. I had a nice hit on my bucktail but the fish went around the piling and snapped my line. I got a hit on my fluke jig but again, I did not strike in time and the fluke lure was bitten off. I am guessing it was a blue fish with them sharp teeth. Again, I realized after boats and jetskis passing by me frequently that I get seasick very easily. Figured out real quickly that my maximum time on a kayak is about 3 hours before I become very sick. I came back to the ramp and went surf fishing and caught some blues instead.

I hate seasickness but I love kayak fishing. I have yet to catch a striper or anything worth keeping on a kayak but I hope to catch them soon. As for my seasickness, the joy I get from kayak fishing heavily outweighs the seasickness....but I do hope that I get used to the waves soon.

I'm very glad I picked this up and hope to catch something at the BB this weekend or Friday.

Happy fishing everyone!

I'm a novice as well and recently started to fish salt water. I will try BB soon, hopefully we can fish together sometimes.

Comment

Gosh Apehzek - you are a brave soul to tackle the BB as a novice who is prone to seasickness! Betweeen the current and boat and wind waves, that's tough duty even for experienced yakers, especially if you have a sit inside kayak that can swamp.

There's fish over in the Severn off the Jonas Green launch at the base of the east side of the Rt. 450 bridge. That spot may be safer for you, especially if you're prone to sea sickness. Good luck!

Comment

apekzhrk,

I believe you picked a particularly windy time to try the BB plus it was a holiday weekend with lots of motorboat traffic. Also there are other tidal sites to fish relatively close to the BB that offer protection from the wind and waves while providing opportunities to catch lots of fish.

Good luck and may you have flat water on your next excursion.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Fishinfool - More stupid than brave ahahha. Thank you for the suggestion! I may try that spot this weekend.

Snakehead - I look forward to fishing with the members some time in the future. It looks fun fishing in a group.

Mark - Do you know of any other areas other than the Jonas Green Park that was already mentioned?

Comment

Kent Island -- Goodhands Creek Landing -- Puts you in quiet protected water immediately with option to reach bigger water if conditions allow.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Here is a possible remedy for the seasickness. It is called Motion-Eaze. I keep a bottle on my power boat for those of my guests who are susceptible. Several of them claim it is a miracle solution for their motion sickness. It is a viscous herbal solution. You do not take it internally -- rather you place a few drops on your fingertip and rub it behind your ears. You can repeat application as often as needed, and the effect is pretty rapid. Unlike Dramamine, this product does not make you drowsy. Fortunately for me, I am not strongly susceptible to seasickness and don't need to use it. But it is an inexpensive and non-invasive remedy that may help you.

Like several other posters noted, the Bay Bridge on a windy day or a holiday weekend is not an ideal place for a novice. Consider launching in the Severn River at Jonas Green or for even more sheltered waters try Truxton Park or the Tucker St ramp in Weems Creek. Get some practice and water time under your belt, then head back out to bigger and deeper waters when you are more experienced.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                Here is a possible remedy for the seasickness. It is called Motion-Eaze. I keep a bottle on my power boat for those of my guests who are susceptible. Several of them claim it is a miracle solution for their motion sickness. It is a viscous herbal solution. You do not take it internally -- rather you place a few drops on your fingertip and rub it behind your ears. You can repeat application as often as needed, and the effect is pretty rapid. Unlike Dramamine, this product does not make you drowsy. Fortunately for me, I am not strongly susceptible to seasickness and don't need to use it. But it is an inexpensive and non-invasive remedy that may help you.

Like several other posters noted, the Bay Bridge on a windy day or a holiday weekend is not an ideal place for a novice. Consider launching in the Severn River at Jonas Green or for even more sheltered waters try Truxton Park or the Tucker St ramp in Weems Creek. Get some practice and water time under your belt, then head back out to bigger and deeper waters when you are more experienced.
                I second John's recommendation. The Bay did get windy and choppy. A kayaker new to his kayak turtled thanks to the wake of a power boater. For seasickness, I know my sister use's Bonine from CVS. Take it the night before and one before you get on the water. You should be immune to the seasickness. Bonine does not make you drowsy also.

Take your kayak to more protected locations suck as Jonas Green, Weems Greek, Goodhand boat launch in Queen Anne's county, Mattawoman Creek, Harris Creek (eastern shore), just to name a few.

Comment

Yeah, what others said. If you are new to kayaking I wouldn't try learning the sport by going to the BB until after I had A LOT of experience in smaller more protected waters. Learning the ropes (re:dangers, risks, etc) of kayaking by going to the BB would be like learning to drive by entering the Indianapolis 500. Learn the sport on more protected areas then work your way up to the big waters. And last, ALWAYS check the wind/weather forecast before you leave the house. Here is a good wind predictor sight:

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/cbofs/cbofs.html

Wind from the south and north is the worst by far when kayaking the BB.
                  Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I took a small boat from Fl. to the Bahamas and swear by the little bracelet they sell at Walmart. It is an elastic band with a bead on it that is applied to a pressure point on the wrist. I was on the water for 14 days and was below deck reading in 6-8 foot seas. The nice thing about it is you can reuse it again and again. You can find it in with the motion sickness products.

Comment

Thank you all for the seasickness advice and site suggestions! I think I will try jigging at Jonas Green with bucktails this weekend for blues and stripers. I hope I catch some keepers!

Comment

Another trick for sea sickness is to take the over the counter drug the night before you go out. This gets it into your system so the next day when you take some you don't have to wait as long for it to take effect. Also take some ginger snaps out to snack on. The ginger is supposed to calm the stomach.

Comment

Working...
                        X