Mattawoman Snakeheads 9/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman Snakeheads 9/5

I launched "The W" w/ a friend who normally outfishes me. On the incoming tide and bright afternoon I thought it would be great fishing. After an hour the winds sure did pick up and continued blowing hard thru sunset. Just as I paddle from the left side of the creek to the right side my friend catches a sh in the lilly pads about 200 yds before the sunken barge. We fish the pads w/ each of us losing a couple follows, complete w/ V-shaped submarine wake! I lost one that leaped over a clump of lilly leaves as if to tease me , then it let go. Then just slas it was getting dark and I wondered where the sh were hiding, my friend attributes the lack of success due to the windiness spooking the fish. I change position to try to cast outside of the wind when BAM! Strike 1! I re-cast to same spot & BAM!! Strike 2! My 3rd cast gets the torpedo action & as my heart skips a beat, I stall the frog and KaBAM! I wait a moment then I set the hook hard. Splish splash I am not taking a bath as I keep my line taught and I dont give an inch. The beast dives into the grass but I keep the pressure on. This is, by far, my biggest snakehead this year approaching my yak. As I bully it out of the thick grass it rolls but cannot cut my 50lb braid. I lift it out of the water after clearing some space for it in my kayak. I knock the beast out w/ my pliers. We return to the launch as the wind dies down and the tide just starts to turn. She measures 26.25" and 7lbs. Finally, I am no longer just catching lil ones or being Net-man for others catching the bigguns. I finally have caught what many others have caught: a snakehead big enough to cut some filets! The snakeheads are in the lilly pads... Now you go catch one!

Nice action there. Congrats on the catch. SH is on my bucket list still.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Good stuff, I wish I could catch smaller ones as I've heard they are better eating. My smallest all year has been a 27". I'll be chasing them again tomorrow and monday at Pohick.
      Jeff
      Life's Short, Fish Hard
      Malibu X-Factor
      Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Working...
      X