BB 6-7 Sept - FIRST ROCK! w00t!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB 6-7 Sept - FIRST ROCK! w00t!!!

I FINALLY CAUGHT A KEEPER ROCK!! WOOOHOO!!! It was a really great day for some kayak fishing, a little wind and barely any waves. Launched from Mata right when the sun set with dson05. When I got to the bridge I was able to catch a bunch of spot and a couple undersized rocks.... but then the bite stopped. Had a couple bites throughout the night, but no keeper anything. At least the weather was nice enough, I was able to lay down and take a quick nap.

A couple hours before sunrise I was wondering if I could ever be able to catch a rockfish. Then my line starts peeling! I could feel it's a fish, and was psyched! When I get it close I see those beautiful black stripes! Oh man... I was so excited! It's only 19" but hey! FIRST KEEPER ROCK!!!!

12 hours of fishing and a painful butt for 2 blues and 1 rock... but TOTALLY WORTH IT!

fishing20130907_084059.jpg

You napped out under the bay bridge in a kayak at night? Congrats on the fish!
    Cuda 14
    Big tuna

Comment

Just as a word to the wise, Maryland DNR regulations do not allow anglers to possess striped bass while fishing from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m. See the fifth bullet at: http://www.eregulations.com/maryland.../striped-bass/.

That means if you catch a keeper before midnight, you cannot keep it onboard between 12 and 5. Although I don't read that statement to prohibit you from fishing for them during the night, you must release them up until 5:00 am.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice work!
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Just as a word to the wise, Maryland DNR regulations do not allow anglers to possess striped bass while fishing from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m. See the fifth bullet at: http://www.eregulations.com/maryland.../striped-bass/.

That means if you catch a keeper before midnight, you cannot keep it onboard between 12 and 5. Although I don't read that statement to prohibit you from fishing for them during the night, you must release them up until 5:00 am.
          Thanks for your concern. I am aware of the rules and adhere to them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Longtrav View Post
            You napped out under the bay bridge in a kayak at night? Congrats on the fish!
            Yea.. I was tired. Not the smartest thing. But considering the forecast and no boats around. ... Also I've done it before ^^ Just not at the BB

Comment

Congrats on the first keeper!
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Looks like it was a lot of fun! I also need to get on some bluefish!
                Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                X