Janes Island SP 9/29/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janes Island SP 9/29/13

Had to pass on the TKAA tournament for the second year in a row due to obligations on Sat. The day before the tournament, plans changed and suddenly all my weekend to-dos disappeared. Too late for the tourney, but I wasn't going to waste my free time. I headed out to OC Saturday and messed around on land. Flounder are heading out, but tautog are starting to bite on the bulkhead if anyone enjoys this kind of fishing.

Early Sunday I leave OC and head down to Janes Island SP. Paddled through the main cut in the island and steadily picked at small speckled trout (biggest ~12 in) and flounder (biggest ~15.5 in - couldn't quite stretch a keeper out of him). Headed north up the canal into a steady north wind (it seems that there is always a stiff north wind when I go to Janes Island) and started throwing a suspending jerk bait around the grass edges. I hooked a nicer trout but he jumped and shook free. Landed one short striper and called it a day as the sun was going down.

It is a long drive, but this area is nice. The wind and the cooling temps kept the bugs off, mostly.

jsquare,

Thanks for the report. I have never been there but I have wanted to go. I almost went this past Saturday.
    <MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

I think I may have seen you. Did you launch early afternoon in a yellow kayak?
      I was camping in JISP and fishing from the pier. Spent the previous day in the kayak and had results similar to yours.

Comment

Originally posted by BillZ View Post
        I think I may have seen you. Did you launch early afternoon in a yellow kayak?
        I was camping in JISP and fishing from the pier. Spent the previous day in the kayak and had results similar to yours.
        May have been me. I launched around 11 in a yellow trident 13. I met another gentleman on the ramp coming in on a yellow Hobie. He did a bit better than I did and got a keeper trout out of his trip.

Comment

Working...
        X