Severn stripers - Oct 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn stripers - Oct 1

No furlough for the fish today. I found hungry stripers in 3-5 feet depth near the mouth of the Severn. I trolled 4 rods with a variety of different lures to see what the fish wanted. Today, all the fish came on 4" Gulp swimming mullets and 12 Fathoms 3" Fat Sam mullets. None of the other hard plastic lures, Storm swim shads, or other plastics were touched today.

Today in 2 hours of steady trolling I caught 12 stripers up to 20".

001.jpg

I also had a 17.5", 17", and three 16" fish. They pulled hard on the light to medium spinning rods. I launched today from the Ellen Moyer water park off of Edgewood Rd which put me into Back Creek. Including the trip to and from the ramp to the target fishing area, I paddled steadily for 3.5 hours covering over 8 miles. My shoulders are sore, but I am happy.

The Severn River Rod and Keg Club (SRRKC) starts its month-long tournament today (Rocktoberfest). Today's fish should put me on the leaderboard on day 1. If anyone is interested, registration remains open until Oct 9. But you cannot enter a fish until you have paid the fee.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great ROI on that trip John!

I think that if 'Chesapeake Bay Fishing' needed a logo, I would suggest a 4" Gulp swimming mullet.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice work John! I was hoping to see someone with a positive post on the first day of Rocktober
      Ivory Mirage Outback
      Blue Mirage Sport

Comment

Nice Job John...wonder if they were the essential or non-essential rockfish
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice! Thanks for the details John! Ill have to try this launch out.
          2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
          Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

congrats on leader position! wish I had a little more time to fish there.

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
              congrats on leader position! wish I had a little more time to fish there.

I think I was the first one on the leaderboard. By evening, another guy trolling from his Parker overtook me for first place on the board. There are still 29 more days.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John - congrats and hope to see you out there soon.. just curious when you say light tackle 10-12lb test on a medium rod?

Comment

Light tackle is not really defined- light tackle for Blue Marlin is not the same as light tackle for bluegills...light salt water tackle is not the same as light tackle for fresh water- ultra- light is always 4-6 pound class tackle...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I fish only spinning rods. I have several ultralights that use 8-lb mono. I have several other light rods that use 10-15 lb Powerpro. I have a few med-light and medium rods. On those I use 20-lb Powerpro. I rarely fish species that require high test line in order to drag the fish out of heavy cover. On all but the ultralights, I add a 20-lb mono leader.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                    X