South River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South River

I went fishing on the South River in Annapolis today in the kayak. I was trolling a beetle spin with a white curly tail grub on it. I had a couple of hits but lost the fish before seeing them. Later I got a big hit and it was a heavy fish. Probably the hardest fighting fish I've dealt with this year. I got excited and cranked the fish to the surface where it jumped and got off. It was a striper. Im bummed about not landing it. On the paddle back to the car I caught a 9 inch white perch. It was fun fishing a new spot even though i had no idea what I was doing. The weather was great and the water calm. Seemed like good water clarity too.

Great day for fishing, thanks for the post, you'll get em next time.
    John

Cuda 12
    F&S Eagle Talon 12

Comment

Sounds like a good day with a lot of potential. I am trying South River tomorrow launching out of the new Homeport Dr. kayak launch. This will be my first time fishing South River, geared to troll all day....but bringing a perch set up incase things get desperate.
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Parking is limited!
        I marked lots of fish on my sonar unit. Did not see any surface activity. Beautiful, calm, did not like the power boats though.

Comment

Glad to hear you got on some fish. Next time you can try again for the one that got away.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

So when trolling and you get a strike on a rod, how do you guys play it? I guess i didn't set the hook and instead began cranking the fish in quickly due to my excitement.

Comment

I like using beetle spins I caught a 17.5" smallmouth this spring ,"I was fishing for perch".I like using small baits for big fish but I have lost a lot of big fish due to the small hooks .

Comment

Comment

^lol @ finger in mouth
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X