Paper Specks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper Specks

I have been putting in the time this past week trying to find where the specks are hanging out. I have gone three times...Va., around Crisfield, and finally today a little south of Cambridge. I have been feasting on the schoolie stripers with just a few small specks with one keeper until today. 20 minutes after I put off I had my first citation speckled trout at 7 lbs. and 26". I was using a red/gold glow BA on a 1/8 oz shaky head. I then caught a 21" that I released on a Opening Night w/char. neon tail. The schoolies showed up as always, and they liked the Electric Chicken BA. Biggest was 17". Caught another small speck (10-11"), and finally on the way in I was trolling and had a knockdown, she was on the top shaking for all she was worth. I put the top third of my rod into the water to keep her from tail walking on the retrieve. She was still green as I got her to the yak and into the net, not having any of that, she was out and pulling drag all over again, this happened a second time, and finally the third try stuck. A virtual twin of the first...7 lbs. 26.25". I was hoping to release her, but she was bleeding bad from the hook set deep in her throat, and I knew that she would not survive. Fridge is full now of nice thick fillets. The quest for my first paper speck fulfilled times two in one day...but not without a lot of fishing. BTW the water temp. was 72-75 deg., and both fish had absolutely nothing in their stomachs, makes me think the food supply is tapped out, and they will be moving on very soon.PA030030.jpgPA030032.jpgPA030034.jpgPA030028.jpg
    Last edited by Hemingway; 10-03-2013, 09:16 PM.

Awesome!

Congratulations. I'm still in pursuit of my first paper speck. Thanks for the report and pics.
    <MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Congratulations!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice, very nice.

Comment

Way to go Gary. You sure put in the time this summer. I'm glad you were successful.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great job, Gary. You deserve those after all the time put in. I would have paid you good money for one of those last Saturday.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
              Great job, Gary. You deserve those after all the time put in. I would have paid you good money for one of those last Saturday.
              Yea, I know what you are saying, I would have liked to have the 26.25" one for the CCA

Comment

very nice catch! i'm glad putting your time in had reward!!

Comment

Glad your fishing time paid off, those are fatties!
                  Shane
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

Great fish... having the same problem with specks inhaling jigheads deep. Thinking there's a huge competition for the food that is left between them and the Rock that are moving in.... great report i'm headed out now

Comment

Thanks guys for all the comments. Let me know how you do Hale.

Comment

Working...
                      X