Bb 10/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bb 10/4

I used my MD State Park Passport to gain free entry and boat launch usage @ SPSP.My report is a replica of Gillplate's 10/5 report, except when I got to the boat launch @ 7:15am there was a sunken motorboat at the ramp I always use next to the crabbing/fishing pier there. The bay was the calmest I've experienced this year so I paddled almost to the channel beyond where the bridge workers are set up. I was able to fish standing up as well as from a seated position.The workers' work boat kept racing past me to shore and then back to the workers no matter which span I was fishing under. He sent tidal waves my way but I surfed thru them. I thought his actions were a bit confrontational as he sped past others too getting quite close to them and me. I caught numerous white perch and some spot, incl, 1 huge spot. The small spot I livelined didn't even get look from any stripers. Near piling 25 I got some pullage until it bit thru my Gulp 4" mullet....must've been a nice blue, though I didnt see it. The weather was hot & sunny once the fog burned off and it got busier w/boat traffic as it got closer to noon. The DNR boat must've received a call as they hauled a** southward. I returned to the launch around 2pm, just as Tow USA and the Recovery boat(dunno if they are the same outfit...but 2 diff boats.....the Recovery boat was like a lil tugboat and it was pulling the sunken boat around in circles...maybe to get the water out? Anyways, as I loaded up the sunken boat's owner showed up to trailer the boat home. I didn't bother asking what happened as he clearly was embarassed...but, it could've always been worse....as I hadn't heard anything on the radio or tv. I did see another kayak angler who was leaving when I got closer to the middle of the bridge.....I did see 1 keeper striper caught by a boater. Most everyone waved as they passed by me including the bikini-clad ladies on one boat....thank God for hot days! On several occasions I saw some breaking fish but instead of seeing them for minutes it was literally only for a few seconds and casting to them yielded zip. Maybe it was a friday and there's more bridge traffic then but it's hard to take a cellphone call due to the sound of traffic on the bridge. I left and headed to the eastern shore to try my luck. The only thing I left with was a sunburn.

The Bay Bridge can be a productive fishing location or it can be very frustrating with lots of boat traffic and strong waves and currents. Last month, livelining was red hot, but it seems to have cooled off. Some anglers are catching rockfish by jigging the pilings. I am not very good at that, and usually end up losing several jigheads and BKDs without any bites.

Last Mon, I saw vast schools of bluefish around the bridge east of the eastern shore rockpile. I fished them for a full hour and they did not move from that spot the entire time. But when I returned the next day, there was no evidence.

If you are at the right place at the right time, you can have a great day. Even if the fishing was slow, you got to see the bikini-clad ladies and lots of on-water drama.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I noticed the bite slowdown about two weeks ago. The blues seemed to have moved in.

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Working...
      X