Pickeral bite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickeral bite?

Any of you guys catching some pickeral yet?

Last year was my first year targeting them but i started in december and caught my first one on christmas day, it was a good present to.

So when do you guys start catching them?

found alot of places near m y moms house in edgewater in the headwaters of the west river and i think there would be pickeral there.

Pickerel bite all year long. You can catch pickerel in the dead of the summer in 90 degree water.
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

yea, they bite all summer. I caught one in July and I know John Veil has been reporting catch some here and there. They just get more agressive generally when the water gets colder.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I wouldnt say they get more aggressive, they just dont get lethargic like other fish when water temps drop below 50 degrees. I was out 2 weekends ago and could not keep the pickerel off my line. Ended up catching 8 all 24"-18" and 6 bass 14"-18" in 6hrs. They dont seem to be effected by pressure change as much as bass do.
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole

Comment

two weeks ago i caught an 18'' pickerel at weems creek using a spinner bait and then last weekend caught another one using the same one. Wasn't sure if spinner baits are the best for pickerels though.

Comment

From May - October, pickerel are caught occasionally in the Severn. They inhabit similar spots to the perch. When you cast to those spots, 98 out of 100 times you will catch a perch. By mid Nov, the perch will move out of their shallow water spots leaving the pickerel to stay there. The frequency of catching pickerel should pick up throughout November.

I talked to a friend who caught several in the Magothy earlier this week. Tidal pickerel fishing is just getting ready to start up.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I had some good luck with pickerel on the Tuckahoe a couple weeks ago and look forward to trying it again soon.

Comment

I caught 2 pickerel this past weekend while targeting Rockfish in the shallows up in creeks between docks and along grass beds, under overhanging trees,,, any fishy looking areas. IMG_0700.jpgIMG_0721.jpg
                Ivory Mirage Outback
                Blue Mirage Sport

Comment

I'm assuming the upper Severn?

Comment

There everywhere. Fish shallow with erratic baits is better, heavy bladded spinnerbait, roostertails, flukes, crankbaits, live minnows... Severn, magothy, patapsco, on the eastern shore you cant get away from them.. im sure the upper reaches of and tidal rivers will have them.
                    Jason

Comment

Working...
                    X