10/19/13 chapel point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/19/13 chapel point

Had a good morning. Got on the water about 830. Had 2 cats in the boat by 845. Caught 6 total today. Threw 3 back to catch next year. I lost 2 keepers at the side of the yak. Previous cat had tweeted my hook enough to cause the sets to be off. Fixed that and caught my third. Off the water by 11. Eight foot deep and 65 degrees. Night crawlers brought them in. First one scared me. I had set my rod in my newly installed rod holder, thinking I'd soak two at a time. When he hit, it rocked the crap outta the yak, almost me too. Taking the family back in the morning. Great Saturday morning. Found out that towing fish behind the yak greatly affects it's handling (hope to suffer from this more often).

image.jpg
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Nice catch! Nothing better than a stringer full of fish slowing you down.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Went back this morning. Wind was a bear. We were basically drift fishing. Wife refuses to leave without catching something. I can appreciate that, but my daughter doesn't. She finally caught a small one. Definitely not as good of a day as yesterday. I worked for these guys. Drift out of the hole and fight to get back...

image.jpg
      image.jpg
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

good Job. I like fishing for Blue Cats in Feb and March at Marshall hall. I hit you up next time I go.
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
          good Job. I like fishing for Blue Cats in Feb and March at Marshall hall. I hit you up next time I go.
          Sure thing. Is that a better time for that area?
          Hobie Outback
          Stand Up Paddle Board
          Pelican 100

Comment

I'm notnsure. But in winter cats are the best show in town.

Comment

I was literally about to post a thread asking about Chapel Point, lucky I found this one. I see catfish are game, but what else can you catch there? I fished Marshall Hall yesterday after an uneventful day at St. Jerome's. I pulled in two decent sized catfish though!
              Ocean Kayak Trident 15
              StriperSniper
              Snakehead Charmer
              "I remembered being very careful never to rub my paddle against the gunwale for fear of disturbing the stillness of the cathedral." E.B. White

Comment

I've only fished for catfish here. Hoping to see what else around the area now that I have the hobie and can move farther, easier.
                Hobie Outback
                Stand Up Paddle Board
                Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by Lee337 View Post
                  I was literally about to post a thread asking about Chapel Point, lucky I found this one. I see catfish are game, but what else can you catch there? I fished Marshall Hall yesterday after an uneventful day at St. Jerome's. I pulled in two decent sized catfish though!
                  here is my Marshall Hall catfish map--circled areas have been productive for me for Blue cats in Feb-April

Comment

Detailed and awesome...

If I'm reading this graphic correctly (based on my experience in the Army, I sure hope I'm reading it right!), I hooked up two cats in the circled portion near the bottom of the map. I'm pretty sure that was my general drift route. I have a Humminbird 587CI HD mounted, but I didn't mark anything, of course. I did note that the depth stayed around 20ft. I drifted two lines; one with a leader rig I made myself that I use to drift about two feet from the bottom, and one standard bottom fishing rig I use for Croakers on the Wicomico. The first rig is what I caught my two cats on. The other was getting torn up by the bottom and giving me "false hits", so I reeled it in eventually and sunk another one of my home-made rigs.
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 15
                    StriperSniper
                    Snakehead Charmer
                    "I remembered being very careful never to rub my paddle against the gunwale for fear of disturbing the stillness of the cathedral." E.B. White

Comment

i really improved my blue cat production when I started anchoring up. First time I fished with Ictalarus Bill and he out fished me 2-1 when he was anchored and I was not. He also caught bigger fish. Last spring, Moc's anchor would not hold in 20 ft and mine did, I did better. When he found a place where his anchor grabbed---he started really catching them. I also like adding a big Spin-n-glo to keep the bait more visible.

Comment

Yeah, I see I have two things I must do. First, I need to start taking pictures. Second, I need to rig up an anchor. I've never anchored my kayak before, with the exception of using a pole through the scupper holes when I'm on Mattawoman. Any suggestions on the rigging aspect of things?
                        Ocean Kayak Trident 15
                        StriperSniper
                        Snakehead Charmer

Comment

the spin n glo is interesting... what were you using as bait there?

Comment

I've been anchoring up at Chapel Point to catch my fish too. I bought a small collapsible anchor and rigged a trolley system on the side. I haven't really used the trolley system though. I have a cleat (bought at Lowes)next to my seat that I just drop and attach to if I'm anchoring on the rear, or I run the line from the front if I plan on anchoring from the front before launching.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Stand Up Paddle Board
                            Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                            X