Patapsco Report 10 26 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco Report 10 26 2013

Hit the Patapsco for the first time this season, switching up from the Flats for a little variety. It was cold this morning and I got a late start debating whether or not I really wanted to go. I'm glad I did. There were schoolies blitzing all over the place with birds guiding me where to go. I caught several on top water, throwing into the blitzes. I almost caught a few birds too.

I fished until about noon and they were still biting, although with the 15 mph winds, it was more than I felt like dealing with so I headed in.

I caught a couple of keepers but the majority were just undersized. I wanted to go out to the deeper channel to find the larger fish but it was too windy. The stripper I cooked today had a belly full of small 4" fish. I guess those were the schools of baitfish I could see.

Also of note, there were tons and tons of jellyfish out there. Big white jellyfish with really long tentacles. I'd end up with two feet of tentacles on some of the lures. I don't remember seeing these up here before.

Great day on the water but hoping for some bigger fish.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Thanks for the report. I hope the wind dies down for next week.

Comment

Did you find that when a bird is hovering over your lures the rockfish get even more interested? That certainly was the case last weekend when I was catching them on my walker-type baits
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Interesting. I didn't notice that because I was busy trying to keep the hovering bird away from my lure I was able to watch a fish emerge from the depths and stare at the lure before sucking it in. It happened just a couple of feet from the kayak. They are hungry right now.

Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Sounds like a fun, action-packed day of fishing. How clear was the water? The Patapsco's CBIBS bouy has been showing amazingly low turbidity readings, like 2 or 3 NTU, for the past 2 weeks. I don't think I've ever seen readings that low on the River... so much so that I'm thinking the turbidity meter might be sending false signals. Looks like we are having a good fishing week coming up.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

The water was relatively clear. I could see about 2'-4' I'd estimate.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Water temp was upper 50's, low 60's

Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                Did you find that when a bird is hovering over your lures the rockfish get even more interested? That certainly was the case last weekend when I was catching them on my walker-type baits
                Had a bird keep messing with my popper today and finally picked it up out of the water and when he dropped it, it was hit right away by a 20" rock.
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                  Sounds like a fun, action-packed day of fishing. How clear was the water? The Patapsco's CBIBS bouy has been showing amazingly low turbidity readings, like 2 or 3 NTU, for the past 2 weeks. I don't think I've ever seen readings that low on the River... so much so that I'm thinking the turbidity meter might be sending false signals. Looks like we are having a good fishing week coming up.
                  Hadnt been out on my boat in awhile which i keep on the patapsco. The water was so clear I could see bottom easily at my slip in about 5'.
                  Even saw an old crab pot sitting on the bottom right next to my boat. Have never seen the water that clear.
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                    Hadnt been out on my boat in awhile which i keep on the patapsco. The water was so clear I could see bottom easily at my slip in about 5'.
                    Even saw an old crab pot sitting on the bottom right next to my boat. Have never seen the water that clear.
                    Thanks Cage. I guess CBIBS is spot on with the turbidity readings. I'm going today launching my canoe at HH ~9:00am or so. I'll have to check the pylons and see if the side rivers of the Bay are having another population explosion of false mussels. Last time there was a population explosion of false mussels in the Patapsco water clarity was up to 8'-10' and more in some areas. I think that was back around 2003-2004 and fishing was very good.
                    Last edited by HJS; 10-28-2013, 06:21 AM.
                    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Nice work on staying out there

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                        Had a bird keep messing with my popper today and finally picked it up out of the water and when he dropped it, it was hit right away by a 20" rock.
                        That is awesome! It makes great sense too. It's hard to believe they can see out of the water like that but I guess they can.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                          Nice work on staying out there
                          Hey, when are you gonna make it back out fishing? I remember you mentioning a certain spot around this time of year.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                          X