Patapsco, 10-28-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco, 10-28-13

I fished the Patapsco today, 10-28-13, 9:00am-3:00pm. Very productive day of fishing. I caught 5 nice stripers. The first one was a whopping 31”er that hit a 4” chart/glitter paddletail on a .5oz head. Thirty minutes later I hooked another one of similar size but it threw the hook halfway in. I never saw it but it sure fought like the 31”er. The others I caught measured 27”, 25”, 23”, 23” and a couple of sub-legals. I got a few more good hits that came unbuttoned in a couple of seconds… they sure did feel nice for the few seconds they were on. All caught on 4” and 5” paddeletails on .5oz to .75oz heads. Most action was along the channel edges.

I even got into some breaking action with birds overhead. I haven’t seen that in the Patapsco for a couple of years. Those were mostly 14”-16” sub-legals. No blues in the mix.

Like Yak Fish said in his post… big, white jellyfish were everywhere. Some were real honkers and looked to be 3’-4’ long. Also had a flyover by a bald eagle.

The water was amazingly clear. Visibility varied from 4’ to 6’ and one place it was 8’. I measured the visibility by lowering a 5” chartreuse BA down until I couldn’t see it anymore, then measured the fishing line on my measuring board. As I suspected, virtually all the pylons everywhere were covered with a thick layer of false mussels. They are not very big, but when there are zillions of them they sure can clean-up the water.

The 31"er was too long to get in one picture. Too big for my cooler, so back it went
    Patapsco 10-28-13 AA.jpgPatapsco 10-28-13 AB.jpg

I kept the 23"er, all other fish were returned.
    Patapsco 10-28-13 B.jpgPatapsco 10-28-13 C.jpgPatapsco 10-28-13 D.jpgPatapsco 10-28-13 E.jpg
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

NICE: Thanks for the up date I'm going to hit it about 3:30 10/29
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

beautiful fish! I might have to get back out there very soon myself! Were you trolling or jigging?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice report Howard. I'll bet those 31" fish were fun to reel in.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great report and great catches.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Fantastic! It amazes me that you are finding fish like those in that area. Totally amazing. And those jellyfish are very odd as well.....Gotta love Baltimore and some urban fishing. I'm contemplating hitting the area this weekend.

Comment

Awesome report! Way to go on the big fish and release. Smaller ones taste better anyway.

Comment

Y’all don’t get your hopes up too high. I returned to the Patapsco this morning (10-29-13) to pick up right where I left off yesterday. But it wasn’t meant to be. If not for the 4-5 dink stripers I caught I’da been totally skunked today. Dunno what happened over night. Conditions were still just as I had left them the previous afternoon… except the big stripers had left the area… or they went somewhere else where I couldn’t find them. I looked high and low for them but saw nothing of interest on the FF. Dang disappointing… but that’s fishing for you. Of course, they might all come back tonight... you never know.

Shady - Nearly all the stripers I caught on Monday were caught by jigging over marks on the FF.
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Nice fish Howard! I had similar results (minus the size) Columbus day week. 20 plus Rock columbus day with breaking fish and 8 or so keepers and 3-5 dinks the next 2 outings.

Comment

I got a 25.5" jigging and a 19.5" trolling yesterday from ft. Armistead. I also had two other nice fish follow my jig all the way to my kayak but not bite, not sure what that is about... Maybe the fish are still around, just not feeding as hard?
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice big fish in the Patapsco! Awesome...
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                        Nice big fish in the Patapsco! Awesome...
                        well - there's at least that one he let go

big congratulations on nice catching and good report! wtg!!!

Comment

Great reports..... cheers !

Comment

Well the fish are still there. I got to say Hi to Shady he was all ready out there as he said he got a nice fish jigging. I only trolled but ended up with 7, 5 where dinks but still had 2 keepers. DSCN0201.jpg
                            Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                            Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                            X