Lower Susquehanna 11/2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Susquehanna 11/2

My brother and I put out at Deer Creek on the Lower Sus to fish for smallmouth and striped bass.

He hooked into a decent smallie that put up a good fight, but it threw the hook after the fourth jump. Shortly after he hooked into a smaller one which he landed.

After this I started throwing topwater, and hooked into a few stripers, two of which I landed. One was 18.5" the other was just over 20".

We also saw 2 bald eagles, a huge (probably, after looking it up) female eating a fish and a smaller immature one with it. The younger bird flew off, but I was able to paddle up stream, and drift down to within 20' of the larger bird. The picture doesn't do it justice (the sun was right behind it). After it flew off I checked out its kill. It was munching on a fairly large catfish.

All in all it was a decent day, looking forward to putting out on the Cecil Co. side- maybe at Octoraro Creek- at some point in the future.

20131102_smallmouth_corey.jpg20131102_striper_1.jpg20131102_striper_2.jpgsusquehanna_bald_eagle.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rdevaughn; 11-03-2013, 08:27 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the report. Based on it, I think my suspicions from my flats report were correct....the stripers have moved off the flats and up into the river. Perhaps as a result of the lack of current on the flats.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

When the water gets cold, the Stripers school up in the deep water from the bridges north to the ramp .......... We used to bail them decades ago on minnows and large shad darts when we could find them in dec and jan

Comment

I did the Octoraro Creek thing last spring for shad. It's not a very long drag out to the water.
        Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

Working...
        X