Susquehanna River (2/12/11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdmakaira410 View Post
    ok so we had this problem last time we were up at the susky. how do you keep the grubs from twisting and knotting up on the dropper loops?? we had a lot of problems with this and i spent probably a 1/4 of my time fixing or retying my rigs rather than fishing. im figuring smaller loops and less line from the jigs to the mainline?? thoughts? would a real small 3way swivel put off the fish??

Yes, smaller loops or tie on directly with a palomar, similar like with a drop shot rig. You might also try shad darts tipped with a grass shrimp (deadly).

Comment

When I made my rigs out on the water, I didn't actually tie dropper loops. I attached the jig heads to the leader by simply using three overhand knots for eahc one. Quick, easy, and will hold for small fish. I made an overhand loop at the top of the leader to connect to the main line (braid) via a snap swivel. The sinker connected to the bottom of the leader via another overhand loop.

YakFish suggested this, it helped bite detection. YP don't "hit" hard from what I've learned out there
      Last edited by MetroMan; 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by mdmakaira410 View Post
        ok so we had this problem last time we were up at the susky. how do you keep the grubs from twisting and knotting up on the dropper loops?? we had a lot of problems with this and i spent probably a 1/4 of my time fixing or retying my rigs rather than fishing. im figuring smaller loops and less line from the jigs to the mainline?? thoughts? would a real small 3way swivel put off the fish??
        What lb mono were you using for the dropper rig? I think anything under 15 lb could lead to problems with twisting and tangles. I also keep the loops short and cut the bottom line close to the knot. This gives a 3" single strand to tie the grub on and helps with heaver leader material and smaller jigs.

Comment

I'd use a palomar knot, but yeah, tie it right to the main line like a drop shot rig. You'll have a lot more sensetivity which you'll need because you need heavy sinkers compared to the fish you are catching.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

i was using 20lb mono but i looped like 3-4'' of 8lb fluoro to the droppers. I was going to do what you said and clip the one end of the loop and tie directly to the grub but my loops were just small enough that i didnt have enough line to tie a decent knot to them. ill probably go that route this next time. I was also hesitant to do that because i felt the 20lb might be too visible tied directly to the jigheads. i think im giving these neds too much credit.
            Last edited by mdmakaira410; 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM.
            Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I was worried about the leader weight spooking fish as well but i don't think it will matter that much. Since your drifting i don't think they will have that much time to inspect it. This is what i was using on the Occoquan.

20lb mono leader. Humm maybe that's why i didn't catch any perch.

Comment

Working...
              X