More Tog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Tog

I think I've come down with tog fever the last month. It's been a good bite in Ocean City this fall and I've been out the last four weekends now with this weekend being no different. I tried again Saturday (9th) and Monday (11th). I've mostly been fishing the 50 bridge and Maratha's Landing area but tides were favorable for hitting the south jetty so I decided to work there both days.

Saturday was pretty slow in the morning. Short tog here and there and I had to move around a lot to keep getting hits. The couple hours around the afternoon slack tide set off a feeding frenzy though and everybody along the jetty was into fish. As soon as bait hit bottom, the tog were on it. I only brought 2 dozen live green crabs and a half dozen frozen I had left over from the weekend before and was out of bait by 2 pm. I had to leave them biting. I ended up getting only 1 keeper tog at 17.5" out of about 3 dozen caught. The boat next to me was in the magic hole though and I saw them get at least 6 keepers.

P1030083.jpgP1030086.jpgP1030091.jpg

And yes.... this boat really did anchor this close to me. When I informed the women fishing in front that they were casting over my anchor line and would eventually snag it, they finally decided they were too close. After pulling anchor they almost reversed into me and I had to use my paddle to push against their motor to keep them off me while yelling at the fool driving to put it in forward.
    P1030090.jpg

Monday I brought 3 dozen greenies with me and caught 2 pints of rock crabs from under the jetty rocks at low water on the way out for insurance. Found plenty of fish during the falling tide in the morning, but all shorts again. The bite died around slack tide but picked right back up once it started moving in. Short tog continued to come up so I made a couple moves to find some new holes and got into 6 keepers with the largest being 18.5". Kept 3 and let the rest swim. Used up all my bait again. In one hole I couldn't hook the little bait stealer's for the life of me. Ended up catching a total of 3 dozen or so tog again. Most boats around me were catching at about the same rate. The only fish I caught that wasn't a tog was a single toad. But than again I didn't really try for anything else. Lot's of gannets diving just outside the inlet on Monday too...

P1030095.jpgP1030097.jpgP1030101.jpgP1030102.jpgP1030113.jpgP1030116.jpg
    Brian

Nice man! Looks like I might need to make another trip to OC...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

You're sick, man! No, really... tog fever is really dangerous. Get help soon.

Nice catching. Those bait stealers may be little sea bass.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Shady - due to your posts I am going down to OC the week of Thanksgiving (Nov. 25-26) before the season closes and try my hand at some Tog. Hopefully we can meet up and fish together.

Comment

Good post, nice pics.

Comment

that water looks CLEAN!
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Nice bro, I enjoyed your report! Glad nothing happened with the boat being so close.
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Great job on the togging.

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Are there redfish in the inlets this time of the year? By those marsh islands/flats?

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                    Are there redfish in the inlets this time of the year? By those marsh islands/flats?
                    I don't know. I haven't tried for them lately and/or heard or seen many others trying around the marshes recently. It was probably two weeks ago, but I saw a couple black and red drum come up around the south jetty by guys togging with fleas. There are lots of reds in the surf right now so I suspect most have exited the backside and inlet.
                    Brian

Comment

Slobber Bob, I was fishing with my friend from the North Jetty in the afternoon this weekend as well as Monday. I saw you over there. I was wondering what anchor you were using. My friend and I had our 2 orange Tarpons 100's on the roof but they never saw water. I wanted to be out there where you were or out in the ocean where that flock was diving on Monday badly. We used gulp for strippers to no avail and finally caught a few small black drum on fishbite just to feel the line tug. We'll be back for a long weekend over Thanksgiving and I hope to get the yaks wet but I am not prepared with the correct outer wer. What do you wear out there? Dry top? Wetsuit? I have a 3/2 that i surf with. Would that be good. I would loike to get a chance to say hello and meet you if your around when we come down. Thanks for a great post with cool pictures and info.

Comment

Rosssurf,

I kept looking over to the north jetty and wondering if anybody over there was catching. Sorry to hear the action wasn't better for you. Many of the boats I saw Sat and Mon live lining or casting the south jetty weren't doing anything either. I talked to a boat loading up at the ramp that went out to those gannets but all they found was bait. Another boat said they chased birds in north OC off the beach and nothing but bait there too. As far as my anchor goes, it's just a homemade anchor of aluminum tube and 9 gauge wire modeled after a wreck anchor.

I wear stocking foot waders, a neoprene top base layer, a couple long sleeve moisture wicking shirts, and a wool sweater, and sometimes a splash top, but there is certainly better stuff to wear out there. I just need to drop the cash on it one day. Do a search on here and you'll find some really good info on winter wear.

I'll be surf fishing Jersey over Thanksgiving but let me know if you ever want to hook up some other time. Company is always welcome!
                        Brian

Comment

Gave it a go on Saturday for one last time before the MD season closes for a month. KayakJoe and I headed out to the inlet around 7:30 to cold and breezy conditions. Stopped at the end of the commercial dock and dropped down to see if anybody was home. Water was very clear with 5-6' visibility. We each pulled one or two out before moving on to the south jetty. Tide was just starting in by then and the wind was whipping out of the NW. Unfortunately, this meant that we had to drop anchor in the channel and let the wind blow us back towards the jetty. All we had were wreck anchors and they weren't holding in the sand. By the time the anchors found rocks we were too close to the jetty and only in 5' feet of water tops. Tried at least a half dozen time to anchor in deeper water but just couldn't do it.

So we headed back into the wind to try Maratha's Landing. Fish were there but very slow to bite. A fish here and there and a long time between hits. We moved around a lot trying to find a hole with some better fish but they just weren't as aggressive as they've been the weeks before. I ended up finally getting a 17" keeper and Joe gave me the rest of his bait and left to go do housework. An hour or so later I decided to try the jetty again and made my way back out. Picked a rock out of the jetty to rig up as my anchor since the wrecks didn't work earlier in the day. With rock anchor deployed I held perfect, but a slow pick of fish again with bites coming every 30 minutes or so.

Stopped by the commercial harbor dock again on my way in, but nothing. Ended the day with 1 keeper out of a dozen caught. Extremely slow compared to my last few weeks out there. Ended up freezing about 2 dozen crabs to save for another time and enjoyed some tog chowder on a very windy and cold Sunday.
                          Brian

Comment

Way to give it a try. Impressive that you got one at all.
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice work getting some pullage. Apparently this is the coldest November in this area in 25 years!
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X