Spa Creek Pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spa Creek Pickerel

Launched at Truxton Park at 10:30 and fished till 3 in Spa Creek. Landed two pickerel with only one photo worthy@ 18.75".

Fished with an old school red and white daredevle. The second fish was cigar size, so I unhooked him in the water. Also had some follows. Does anyone know when leaf season opens? Did a lot of leaf C & R all day.

Nice looking pickerel!

I consider leaves to be an invasive species, they do not belong in the waters we are trying to fish, Mother Nature needs to clean up her act!
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice fish, Capt! I hate all those leaves getting in the way too.

Comment

Glad to see you were able to get out on the first day of the derby and catch some fish. I'm going to try and get out later today if I can get finished work in time. I'm planning on fishing Weems Creek on Sunday.
        BRETT
        Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Capt C-Hawk,

Great fish!

I also entered the pickerel tournament but I haven't been out yet.

Good luck to you for more like that one!
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice fish Bob. I had my first pickerel outing this morning in the Severn. Usually by this time of the fall, I have made a dozen trips and figured out where they are hiding -- not this year, though. The water was incredibly low when I launched at 9:00. A large section of the beach at Jonas Green was exposed. That limited the amount of habitat where the fish could be.

I fished three rods, favoring lighter lures because of the low water level. One had a Strike King micro-king spinner bait of 1/16-oz. It caught one 15" pickerel. Another rod had a 1/16-oz jighead and a 3" Gulp swimming mullet. It hooked up three times -- each one was roughly the size of the one you showed (18-19"). The third rod had a safety pin spinner arm with 1/8-oz jighead and 4" Gulp. The third rod had a few gentle bumps but no bites.

Even though the bite was slow, the wildlife were out taking advantage of the low water to move onto normally submerged areas. I have occasionally seen foxes when I fish, but never more than one on any given trip. Today, I found two foxes on a small sandy beach watching me (one at either end of the first photo). A standing or walking human usually makes them nervous, but a large orange object with a sitting human did not seem to bother them at all. They did not spook at all.

002a.jpg 004a.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wow! the left one almost looks like a gray fox, which are not nearly as common around this area as they used to be. Very cool shot with the red fox on one end and the gray on the other
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

John,

Good catches and good photos.

I just got a pair of Kotatat waterproof pants, new kayak shoes and a new light spinning rod that I hope is a pickerel magnet.

If the weather cooperates, I'll be out this coming week to test the Severn and Weems for pickerel.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice pick

Comment

Working...
                  X