Bush River and Conowingo Busts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush River and Conowingo Busts!

After hearing about the Bush River from Sparky, I figured that I'd give it a shot. I'd never been there before and so I was up for a new adventure and waters to fish. Both launches now have the gates closed for the season. I couldn't get near the bridge within a reasonable distance so I punted on the Bush. I fish the flat so often that I wasn't in the mood for it today. I hadn't fished Conowingo in a long time so I continued north and found that there weren't many gates running so I launched and fished without any luck.

I marked some fish at a hole I found but they wouldn't bite on anything. I have no way of knowing what they were, but I did see some fish at drop offs as well. I jigged, I casted, I threw top water...nada.

I wanted to explore and went around the other side of the island. Jeeze, don't do it with a hobie. It gets really shallow with big rocks just under the water. I busted up my fins pretty good. I stopped and started paddling and in the middle of what was 5' of water I hit a rock so big and it felt like I was in a car wreck. It stopped me dead in my tracks. Good thing there was no hull damage. I won't do that again.

After a lot of hours fishing, I packed it in and decided to fish at the dam itself from shore. I asked around and no one was catching, although I did see one rockfish on a stringer and a nice walleye. Other than that everyone seemed frustrated so I stuck around for only about a half hour. There's just too many people fishing one spot.

It was a great day though. The bald eagles are at the dam right now, hundreds of them. There were just as many people with cameras filming them. It was worth the trip just to watch them. They were soaring over the water, grabbing fish, and fighting with the other large birds. If you haven't been up this time of year, it's a must see. People brought food and had quite a spread as they set up for a day of viewing.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Wow, even superheros get the skunk...hopefully the scenery made up for it. I stopped by Willoughby Beach Ramp this morning for a peak and noticed the gates were locked. A few of us are fishing the bridge tomorrow launching out of Otter Creek Landing. The bridge is a good distance away, but with lures in the water, it's not bad at all. I used to fish the flood gates from land with a surf rod. It's miserable being shoulder to shoulder. Casting a good 120 yards into the open gate, lines are bound to cross...and it usually starts WWIII. Not fun at all!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
      Wow, even superheros get the skunk...hopefully the scenery made up for it. I stopped by Willoughby Beach Ramp this morning for a peak and noticed the gates were locked. A few of us are fishing the bridge tomorrow launching out of Otter Creek Landing. The bridge is a good distance away, but with lures in the water, it's not bad at all. I used to fish the flood gates from land with a surf rod. It's miserable being shoulder to shoulder. Casting a good 120 yards into the open gate, lines are bound to cross...and it usually starts WWIII. Not fun at all!
      A couple of guys did get tangled on an inadvertent bad cast and they worked it out ok, but every time I cast I feared I wouldn't see someone's line.

I went steelhead fishing last november and it was similar. One kid caught one and was fighting it. He was downstream fighting it for a little while so the rest of us continued fishing on the drift. His fish decided to take off upstream 20 yards and crossed my line. The kid's dad had a coniption who was a steroided out hill billy. I cut my line and he finished the fight. These particular fellows had a habit of not reeling in the fish and letting it tire itself out on the line which led to the tangle.

You go out for some relaxing fishing but too bad not everyone is as laid back.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Thanks for the report even though you had a not so successful day. I know you'll make up for it next time!
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Got my two keepers today, Alan. Trolled the RR bridge for 6 hours. Nothing above 20 inches....most of the boats got skunked. Very slow today...the barometric pressure was really high this morning, sure it did not help.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
          X