Hooper Island Bridge 11-16-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HJS View Post
    I noticed that too. Only thing I can point to is that the Bay is in period of weak day-time tides... which translates to weak currents. The really high tides are occurring after dark.

Tides will improve for day-time fishing a couple days either side of Thanksgiving.
    Thanks for the info! Weak currents makes sense
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

That is great -- I now have a new excuse when my fishing is not quite as good as I hoped it would be. (too hot, too cold, too windy, too sunny, weak currents )

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
      Thanks for the info! Weak currents makes sense
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

+1 ^ LOL. I like that, weak currents .

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        That is great -- I now have a new excuse when my fishing is not quite as good as I hoped it would be. (too hot, too cold, too windy, too sunny, weak currents )

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

LOL!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
            Yes.... I am hoping to catch a Thanksgiving rock... You have to scroll your browser to the right to see all the tides into December...
            [URL]http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/
            Rob - I've been using that tide site for years. I love that site. You can get tides in graph form for anywhere on the east and west coast for years in the future and years in the past. Although it can take a lot of scanning of all the possible locations they have tides for to find the location you are looking for... then bookmark it for for easy access. I use this site to plan vacations to the coast... after all you don't want to go when the tides are not right for fishing.

BTW, when I was taking about weak currents I was referring to the mid & upper Bay. I see from the link you posted that tides are pretty good right now at PLO.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

@HJS --> I kinda figure what you were referring to... it's all good.
              Surfing.. and surf fishing along the Ocean City area... well tides were the most important part of the activity(s).

Sue Foster in her report last week mentioned that the early mornings and late evenings are the best.. as were mine
              also. It might be the very best with the tide switch early and late in the day right now... read below.. just a newbie here.

With all respect to the more experienced fisherman on the bay... as I am quite the newbie,
              I think HJS is more pointing out that fluctuations in the tide play an important part
              to the fish moving and having activity.

In addition is salinity and oxygen levels. In the summer... oxygen levels are going to be
              higher late in the day. Oxygen levels play an important part to the fish's activity level.
              The salinity level is where that fish likes to live.
              While in the summer.... late in the day the oxygen level is higher late in the day.. you may
              have a low tide but that oxyen level is when they are going to most energized.

Now that oxygen levels are more constant... that is underwater vegitation is dormant...
              I "believe" tide fluctuations are very important. And salinity and water temperature.

Recently Kevinfry had good success at the top of the tide... as did I at Piney Point.
              I didn't broadcast my catches, for respect of our local kayakers down that way.
              I had my brand new $10 thrift store snow pants on for warmth... and I just didn't want
              to get them slimed... so all the fish stayed on the water, and on the stringer. Not in the boat :-)

Nitefly had a good report "day" fishing... so who knows...

For me though... I have had the most success at the top of the tide... the same went for
              my years surf fishing. But what do I know... this is my first year on the Chesapeake.
              And I'm having a bunch of fun exploring and learning.

Please correct me at, or instruct me otherwise... Thanks !

Comment

I worry about weak currents....especially at my age.
                Better take more vitamins, or see my Dr.

As for fishing....currents affect some local's more than others. current w/o bait likely won;t improve fishing this time of year. I will note, also, that I caught many fish on my top water plug fishing right next to an anchored center console fishing jig. It was non stop action for me while I never saw them catch a fish (theykept casting at my yak......as if I was not there first LOL) so sometimes knowing right lure for location helps.....though, for me, it could have just been luck.
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Staying out of this one. Thanx 4 the seafood Coop. It was a fun day. The "Termite " was busier than I thought! ha
                  2015 Outback
                  2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X