Warm Water Discharges (WWD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm Water Discharges (WWD)

I was just sitting here thinking about "dead of winter" fishing excursions, that will soon be coming. I know WWDs can be very good fishing when the water gets real cold. The obvious choice near here is Calvert Cliffs, but I seem to remember in Shawn Kimbro's book he mentioned a WWD near Kent Island? Does anyone know where it is, and can you get to it in a kayak without paddling for miles? Also, I seem to remember mention of one in the Patapsco - any info on that. Oh, and if anyone can pass on specifics on launching near CC that would be nice too. One man's thermal pollution, is another mans thermal enrichment!

T.
    Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Oh shoot - wrong forum - Sorry.

T.
    Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
      I was just sitting here thinking about "dead of winter" fishing excursions, that will soon be coming. I know WWDs can be very good fishing when the water gets real cold. The obvious choice near here is Calvert Cliffs, but I seem to remember in Shawn Kimbro's book he mentioned a WWD near Kent Island? Does anyone know where it is, and can you get to it in a kayak without paddling for miles?
      Locally known as The Sewer Pipe, people report good cold weather fishing at the discharge outlet from Kent Island wastewater treatment plant. The plant is right next to Terrapin Beach Park. The pipe extends westward out into the Bay.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

There is also Chalk Point on the Patuxent. You can launch from Cedar Haven Park or the boat ramp by the Benedict Bridge.
        -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Isn't there one by the Harry Nice bridge also? And then there is the Hot Ditch down in the Elizabeth river. I think there is also some type of warm water discharge just upstream from the Wilson bridge.

I have only tried the Hot ditch, but I plan on trying all of them this winter.

Comment

Where is the best parking/launch for the sewer pipe?

Comment

Terrapin would put you closest to the sewer pipe. It probably a 1/2-1 mile walk from the parking lot to the beach. Kayak cart is absolutely necessary. I am down to try any of the warm water discharges this winter. I know there are several in the inner harbor area as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                Isn't there one by the Harry Nice bridge also?
                Sure is. On the south side of the bridge. Pretty good spot too. It starts off around 4 feet deep at the point of discharge... 8 feet about 50 feet out... and then another 300 feet from the discharge the bottom drops quickly to 70+ feet.
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by Mbrupb View Post
                  Terrapin would put you closest to the sewer pipe. It probably a 1/2-1 mile walk from the parking lot to the beach. Kayak cart is absolutely necessary. I am down to try any of the warm water discharges this winter. I know there are several in the inner harbor area as well.

I am down with trying WWDs this winter as well. I'm usually available to go fishing Mondays tough Thursday mornings if anyone wants to go out.

T.
                  Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

There is a WWD by the coal plant next to the Nice Bridge. Probably would smell better than the sewage pipes I've fished around the Nice Bridge with a larger powerboat and here are some takeaways. 1. The current is swift there and behaves funny especially by the WWD and in between the pilings. 2. This bridge does attract alot of birds so...wear a hat if you spook them all. 3. There is a large underwater cable that runs the length of the bridge, depsite the charts and signs people still anchor there. I have never gone to that area in a kayak though, but I look forward to hearing what your trip was like, wherever you end up.
                    Last edited by khobombed; 11-22-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Did someone say WWD? Got this one this morning at the Power plant that feeds into the Salt peter creek which feeds into the Gunpowder.
                      DSCN5861.jpg
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice catch Ryan. That is the C.P. Crane Generating Station.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

People like to keep the WWDs secret so it's hard to get a lot of info about them. All the ones I know of are already mentioned in this thread.

One of my goals this winter is to kayak fish the CCNPP. I've already recon'd the place on Walleye Pete's boat a couple times. It's time to yak it. There is no nearby launch, but that's ok. The tricky part is the strong current caused by the outflow. With the right wind and bay current, you can be in for some impressive standing waves. When I go, I will likely stay on the sides of the flow and cast into it. On a boat, you can drift right down the middle of it and vertical jig, but in a kayak, ehhhh, not so sure about that. I know Ictalurus went there with Capt. Brady Bounds last year. Before I go, I'll dig up that old thread and take notes.
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                            Did someone say WWD? Got this one this morning at the Power plant that feeds into the Salt peter creek which feeds into the Gunpowder.
                            So you got to that WWD after all. I didn't think stripers would be gathering there quite yet... good for you for getting out there and catching fish, and a nice one at that. The closest public access I can find to that WWD is at the Marshy Point Nature Center. I was there ~10 years ago and the public could launch cartops then but it was a fair carry to the waters edge, but not that difficult. Maybe they have improved access since then, dunno. According to their website their summer hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm hours. Apparently the off-season hours are more restrictive... maybe a lot more restrictive. You might need to call them to find out what their off-season hours are. It sure would be nice if cartop launchers were allowed to drive to the waters edge, at least temporarily, to off load their cartop boats.

BTW, the Marshy Point cartop launch site is listed in the MD-DNR Boat Launch web site.
                            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                              So you got to that WWD after all. I didn't think stripers would be gathering there quite yet... good for you for getting out there and catching fish, and a nice one at that. The closest public access I can find to that WWD is at the Marshy Point Nature Center.
                              I was duck hunting a mile and half up the creek in the morning on private land and decided, while I'm here might as well see if I can find some Stripers.
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X