Beverly Triton Beach - 11-29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverly Triton Beach - 11-29

Overboard, Sparky1423, Bgriff and myself launched at around 8 am on Friday morning from Beverly Triton Beach. The forecast called for low wind and temperatures that would eventually get into the low 40s. The wind seemed stronger than forecasted and the swells got bigger as I went farther into the open bay and near the mouth of the South River. None of us were having any luck in the areas where Jeremy and I were catching them the previous weekend. I tried going deeper and worked my way out to the main channel.

The swells were tossing me around a bit. So much so that I didn't realize I had a fish on. I saw the rod tip wasn't bouncing with the correct action, so I figured I had snagged a leaf and went to reel in to clear my hooks. There was a good bit more weight on the line than a leaf, but there wasn't enough tugging for me to discern a fish on over the bouncing of the kayak. I was surprised to see a fish on the line when I got it up to the side of the yak. He livened up quite a bit when I brought him in for a measurement though. He was a pretty healthy 17"er. I had been marking single fish here and there in the 9-11' range. I marked a couple bigger ones in 20'. This one bit on a Citrus Glass Shad Rap. After 4 1/2 hours, we decided to call it quits. The pattern had changed. We ran into Buzz on the way in. Hopefully, he fared better than we did!

A couple of us did find a good place to eat afterwards. If you head out this way, be sure to check out the Watermans Tavern for lunch! They had great chicken wings. It was great to meet BGriff and Overboard and to fish with Sparky1423 again!
    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Definitely not as forecasted. Bgriff was on his way out of the park when I got there. After a brief chat, he left me a little bummed, but I drove down to the launch anyway.
    And what a great launch it is. You unload on grass and sand only 80 feet from the waters edge. A cart helps but is not necessarily needed. I dragged mine down to launch, but used the cart to load out. Once in the water us Torque owners have to wade out a bit. The rock pile breakers cause a lot of sand to build up near the shore.

Once I was finally on my way out I noticed sparky, Nitefly, and OVERBOARD heading back in. After hearing about how rough it was out in the channel, I decided to stay back and work the area between the channel and the crab pots. I trolled up and down for about 3 hours and then headed in empty-handed.

Again, I really liked the location. Easy access to big water. Will definitely be going back in the spring.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Nitefly, Buzz, I think I've read previous post where a permit is needed to launch from Beverly Triton Beach. I would definitely like to use the launch. Is a permit still required?

Comment

Originally posted by islandfish View Post
        Nitefly, Buzz, I think I've read previous post where a permit is needed to launch from Beverly Triton Beach. I would definitely like to use the launch. Is a permit still required?
        Permit no longer required. Just don't park along the fence near the launch. Pull back up to the top of the park and hike it back down after unloading at the launch. It's signed as Parking but there is a hand made sign on the first post, easy to miss, that states it is only parking for people that had purchased a permit for this year. That part of the parking situation may change next year but some did purchase permits for this year before the new no permits policy and it seems the park is giving them the benefit of using the lower parking spots. The park guy got pretty hot under the collar about us parking there.

Comment

I got to the park about 7:05 and met Sparky1423 and Nitefly outside the gates. The ranger got there about 7:30 to unlock them and we all drove down and parked by the launch area and unloaded our yaks then drove our vehicles back up and parked by the gate. OVERBAORD showed up shorty thereafter and unloaded as we were rigging up. We all headed out about 8am. Despite the cold temps I was anticipating a decent time out on the water since the wind was pretty much non-existent when we launched. Well....that changed pretty quickly. About 1/2 out the wind started to pick up. I trolled for about another hour, without much showing on the FF. Once I decided it was time to head back in it seemed as if the wind picked up even more and I ended up battling a head wind on my paddle in.
          It didn't turn out to be a very successful trip as far as fishing goes, but it was good to finally get out and meet some fellow forum members. This was my first time at Beverly Triton Beach Park and I have to say I thought it was an awesome launch with direct access to the bay.
          BRETT
          Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Here's a pic of right before launch. I met to post this one with the initial report, but was having some tech issues.

20131129_130851885_iOS.jpg
            2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
            Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

I fish there a lot this time of year in those ponds for carp and perch

Comment

Working...
              X