Severn: Tis the season to jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn: Tis the season to jig

I was going to make a run down to the Potomac looking for cats but with the snow I decided to stay closer to home. Launched from Jonas Green around 0745 figuring I would jig for rock and if nothing was doing I would target some pickerel. Had the lot to myself minus some snow plows.

Headed right out and started jigging the bridge rubble. Wasn't seeing much on the Elite 5 but all of a sudden my butterfly jig got thumped by this little piggy.

Pic, release and thumped again

Caught one more before the current slacked off and I lost the fish so after another half hour of banging the bottom I decided to see if the pickeral were biting. Hit a little backwater area across from Jonas Green with a small rapala husky jerk and a 2 inch curly tail. Caught one and lost its twin at the side of the yak before deciding to jig the rubble again.

Searched around some more without anything on the screen before this fatty showed herself.

Caught another 23 incher and lost a good bite after a couple seconds before giving in to the weather and some frozen feet and calling it a day. Water temp was 44 deg. Good fishin

Wow! That's some good fishing right there. Damn nice grade of fish in the river still!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Wow!! Now that is a wicked day for December!! In the Severn at 44 degrees, that is pretty sweet.

What size metal? Throw any plastic?

Nice work again

Comment

Truly amazing!!!...to say the least. That first one looks stuffed with bait. Was there any large schools of bait in the immediate area?
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post

What size metal? Throw any plastic?

Nice work again
          1 1/4 ounce butterfly. Started with a bkd on a 3/4 ounce head but broke it off in the rubble early and switched it up.

Originally posted by HJS View Post
          Was there any large schools of bait in the immediate area?
          Marked some bait once Howard... Truth be told I didn't mark much of anything but when I did I usually got thumped. 5 of the 6 were footballs.

Comment

Those are some nice looking fish. Nice job!
            BRETT
            Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Absolutely Beautiful Chimo!!! Here I am sitting at home tying dropshots for yellow perch next month and you're still catching 2013 beasts...I have lots to learn
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to keep the 'go for it' spirit up !

Cheers... have a good holiday season !

Comment

Wayne, glad to see you are still jigging up those rockfish. Those are nice looking fish.

Comment

Way to go Wayne. I tried jigging there a few times two weeks ago without a touch. But as you noted, having a moving current makes a big difference. Congratulations on the nice catches.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

WOW! great fish! I am fishing vicariously through you. Those are some healthy FATTYS. Thanks.

Comment

Excellent catches.

You were well rewarded on a bad-weather day that held little hope for success.

Congratulations.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have been so busy right now that I have not had time to fish. Those fish that you caught where beauts!

Comment

Very nice outing!!!
                            Hurricane Skimmer 128
                            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Working...
                              X