Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just checked my crabpots and found bluegill!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just checked my crabpots and found bluegill!!

just checked my crab pots for the first time in 2 months and there was a perch and 2 bluegill in there as well as grass shrimp every where. i might have to try fishing for them . I am suprised to see the bluegill at the mouth of the south river on christmas eve

IMG_2961.jpg

Ghost pots. Leave the bluegill in and something else will go in to eat them; sort of like perpetual motion. The state came up with a program to pay commercial fishermen to go out and recover ghost pots; sort of like perpetual motion
    Last edited by Trip; 12-24-2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

live line them!

Comment

Pumpkinseed sunfish!
        About the prettiest members of the Sunfish family.

Comment

I get pumpkinseed from time to time off my pier on KI. Here's what they look like in breeding colors.

image.jpg

Comment

They used to be all over the bay area creeks. When there was seaweed, there would be, what we called, sunny holes all visible in the grass. The sandy holes were the sunfish nests. As a kid it was like the food chain. We would go fishing for the sunfish with garden worms. Then we would use the sunfish as crab bait, on crab lines.

Comment

I catch a few each year in shallow areas of upper Weems creek. They sure are pretty little fish.

004.jpg
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
              X